Rice/Sausage Casserole - family recipe

I come from one of those Italian families that has family members from all parts of Italy - which is great for sharing recipes, customs, etc. - and also - they live not only in Italy, Argentina, but also in Canada, up north, down south and all the way to Alaska.

I will share some of the “family” recipes from all members from each area.

This one is from Great Uncle John’s family from Northern Italy. I’ve given “measurements” and not eyeball/hand measurements to make it easy for you:

Rice/Sausage Casserole

Saute 1 chopped onion (about 1/2 c. or so) in a bit of olive oil until tender; add 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage (if using links remove casings) and cook until browned; drain of fat. Add 3 c. cooked rice and 2/3 c. diced mozzarella; mix carefully. Pour into into a 2-qt. baking dish.

In small bowl, combine 2 eggs and 1 T. chopped fresh parsley and chopped fresh basil (or 1/3 t. of each if using dried).

Pour over rice mixture. Bake in preheated 300* F. oven for 30 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.

It’s just an Italian “comfort food” dish that can be served with a large salad and crusty bread or used as a nice side on a buffet.

NOTE: Sweet, mild or hot Italian sausage goes well with this dish - it’s your preference.