RICH CHICKEN STOCK - USING A FOOD PROCESSOR

RICH CHICKEN STOCK - USING A FOOD PROCESSOR

Makes about 2 quarts.

Often, when I stew a hen or capon, I will boil the left over chicken stock and carcass down to this rich broth to uae in making soups, stews, casseroles - dozens of different recipes. So that the broth will be as robust as possible, I processor-mince the vegetables that simmer in it, instead of slicing them, because the greater the surface area of the vegetable, the more flavor it will impart to the broth.

3 qts. chicken stock (leftover from cooking a capon or hen; do not strain or remove the vegetables and seasonings that cooked in the stock along with the fowl)
The capon or hen carcass
2 med. onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
3 med. celery ribs, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 med. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3 large parsley branches, washed
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place the chicken stock and carcass in a large, heavy kettle and set, uncovered, over moderate heat. Meanwhile, mince the onions in a food processor fitted with a metal chopping blade; add to kettle. Fine mince the celery; add to kettle. Chop the carrots by letting the procesor run nonstop for 20 to 30 seconds; add to kettle. Drop in peppercorns, parsley and bay leaf. Adjust heat under kettle so that liquid boils gently, then simmer uncovered for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until liquid has reduced by about one third and the broth has a rich chicken flavor. Strain broth into a large fine sieve (discard bones, vegetables and seasonings), then season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool; skim off the fat that has floated to the top, and freeze in 1-pint or 1-quart freezer containers. Label and date. See Beef Broth for for length of freezing.