Roasted Eggplant Spread
(makes about 2 cups)
1 large eggplant, about 2 pounds (960 g)
olive oil cooking spray
1 head of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425Â°F (220Â°C), Gas Mark 7.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place, cut side down, on a large baking sheet.
- Separate garlic into cloves, but do not peel. Wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil and bake alongside the eggplant for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Unwrap garlic and peel. Place in a medium bowl.
- Scoop out eggplant flesh and place in bowl, Discard skin. Mix in lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt (if using), and pepper. Blend well.
- Transfer mixture to a serving dish and serve with Baked Pita Crisps (recipe follows).
Per 3-tablespoon (45 ml) serving: 51 calories (44% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 6 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)