Roasted Pepper Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
(makes 4 servings)
2 small red bell peppers, 6 ounces (180 g) total
2 small yellow bell pepper, 6 ounces (180 g) total
2 small orange or purple bell peppers, 6 ounces (180 g) total
8 leaves red leaf lettuce
4 fresh sprigs of basil for garnish (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) olive oil
2 tablespoons (15 g) minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the boiler. Place the bell peppers in a shallow baking pan. Place under boiler about 2 to 3 inches (5 to 8 cm) from source of heat. Broil until skins are charred, turning occasionally.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in a plastic bag to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Working under running cold water, remove and discard the core, seeds, and skin. Cut each pepper in half lengthwise. (At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the peppers for up to 3 days.)
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all ingredients. Pour over the peppers and turn to coat.
- Arrange 3 pepper halves (1 of each color) on 4 chilled salad plates lined with lettuce leaves, drizzling the dressing over the salads. Garnish with a basil sprig.
Per serving: 93 calories (53% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 6 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat