ROCKPORT FISH CHOWDER
Low fat milk and clam juice are the secrets to the lower fat and saturated fat content of this satisfying supper soup.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 C coarsely chopped onion
1/2 C coarsely chopped celery
1 C sliced carrots
2 C potatoes, raw, peeled and cubed
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
2 C bottled clam juice
8 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 lb fresh or frozen (thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 C flour
3 C low-fat (1%) milk
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and celery and sautÃ© about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam broth. Wrap peppercorns and bay leaves in cheese cloth. Add to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add fish and simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
- Remove fish and vegetables; break fish into chunks. Bring broth to a boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup. Remove bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Shake flour and 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk in a container with a tight-fitting lid until smooth. Add to broth in saucepan with remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Yield: 8 servings–Serving Size: 1 cup each
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 34 mg
Sodium: 302 mg