Rocky Mountain Oysters
Source: The Fort, Morrison, Colo.
2 pounds calf testicles, fresh or frozen (Make sure they are calf and not bull testicles. Calf testicles are much smaller and more tender.)
2 cups beer
2 eggs beaten
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
Salt and pepper
Hot sauce for dipping
- With a sharp knife, remove the thin skin that surrounds each testicle. Slice each into ½-inch ovals.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place cleaned and sliced testicles. Pour in beer. Let them sit covered for 2 hours.
- Make a dipping batter by combining the flour, cornmeal and eggs.
- In a deep skillet, heat about 1 to 1-½ inches of oil until it is hot, about 375 degrees.
- Drain the beer from the meat slices and pat dry.
- Dip each piece of testicle in the batter and fry until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce.