Rosie's Maryland Fried chicken

This was my Wife’s Mother’s recipe. It was learned on the farm in Maryland well over 60 yrs ago and is still a winner today. We have used it and it makes great Fried Chicken and is very easy to make.

Filling up the CIS

Removing and placing in the covered pan to go in the oven.

In the oven with the sweet potato fries (Another Recipe)

1 Chicken fryer approx. 3-4 lbs.
1 Cast Iron Skillet (CIS)
1 oven set at 300*F
Frying oil (Rosie used lard but we use a light olive oil) your choice
1 cp. All Purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tbspn of All Season or your choice
The secret to this recipe is in the preparation and the frying technique.
DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut the fryer in traditional pieces. Legs, wings, thighs, breasts, Back
  2. Pour ½” of oil in CIS and heat to 350*F
  3. Dry pieces of chicken completely
  4. Combine flour with seasonings in a 1 gal. zip lock bag.
  5. When the oil reaches 350*F place a piece of chicken in the bag of flour and seasoning, ensuring that the chicken piece is completely coated with flour and immediately place in the hot oil skin down.
  6. Adjust burner to try and keep a constant 350*F.
  7. Continue to coat each piece of chicken and add to the CIS until it is full.
  8. Cook chicken approximately 10 min on each side until it is a dark golden brown
  9. Turn chicken only once (this is very important to have it come out properly)
  10. Continue to replace each piece in the CIS until all chicken pieces are in the skillet.
  11. As each piece is done transfer it to a pan/pot with a lid or cover with foil and place in the oven at 300*F for 30 min. Remove covering the last 10 minutes to chrispen.
  12. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels for 2-3 min then serve while hot

Enjoy!!!

Going to try this tonight! My hubby loves fried cheken but I rarely make it. This sounds great and easy. Thank you for sharing this.

Dianne

Dianne, it really is easy the hardest part for me is taking the time to cook it properly. The approx. 10 min. per side just about kills me. But, if I set my timer and do something else while I am keeping an eye on it it isn’t to bad. If you like a really crispy outside leave it uncovered longer in the oven.

Please let us know how it turns out so others will also know.