Serves 4
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 50 min

500g all-purpose potatoes
500g Savoy cabbage
2tbsp butter
2 spring onions, finely chopped
Sea salt and pepper
60g grated cheddar cheese (or half/half with grated parmesan)

Method

Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Peel the potatoes and cut into rough chunks. Remove any tough outer leaves of the cabbage and slice the leaves finely.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of simmering salted water for 10 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes or until both are tender but not overly soft.
Drain well, add the butter, spring onions, most of the cheese, salt and pepper, and mash together.
Arrange in a buttered ovenproof dish, top with the remaining grated cheese and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and steaming hot.

Hi,
Just curious where the name rumbledthumps originated. I love cabbage dishes and intend to try this one this weekend. Your chile recipe is on the agenda for tonight, if I can fiigure out what rattlesnake beans are. :wink: Nancy

This sounds very much like “Bubble and Squeak” that my English grandmother used to make. I believe she sometimes put bacon in it, too. This is most delicious!

Hi, I would like to try this, but would you mind converting the grams and the oven temp for little 'ol me from the USA. Thank you

Hi Joanie !!!

Here are the metric conversions…

180C = 355 Farenheit

500Grams = 1 lb

I have a metric convesion program that is small enough to email…so if anyone would like a FREE copy…PM me with your email address and I’ll gladly forward it to you. I obtained the program FREE from the net…so there’s no copyright concern with sharing it…and feel free to share it with all your friends too! It’s only a 568 kb program but it sure is handy! FREE for the asking. Regards,

B-man :smiley:

Bubble and Squeak

A salute to a British classic

Ingredients:

3 3/4 cups cabbage
3 3/4 cups mashed potatoes
1/3 cup butter, divided
salt and pepper

Preparation:

Shred the cabbage and boil or steam it until tender. Mix in the cabbage with the mashed potato and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat half the butter in a large frying pan, add the cabbage/potato mixture and smooth it flat with a palette knife. Fry over a medium heat for about 8 minutes or until under side browns.

Place a large plate over the pan and turn the pan and plate over so that the bubble and squeak is on the plate.

Heat the remaining butter in the pan and carefully slide the bubble and squeak back in the pan. Cook again over a medium heat until the other side is golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.

B-man :smiley: