Salmon patties

I made these last night and they were awesome!

#1 SALMON PATTIES

1 can (14 3/4 oz.) salmon
1/2 med. onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 whole pkg. saltine crackers, crushed

Empty 1 can salmon and juice into large mixing bowl (remove bones). Add 2 eggs. Add lemon juice. Stir mixture well. Add onion, pepper, crackers. Stir.

Form into patties 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Set aside on plate or wax paper (make 5-6 patties). Let set 5 minutes.

In large frying pan heat 1/2 inch cooking oil to med. high temperature. Do not skimp on oil. When oil is hot place patties in pan and cook 4-5 minutes per side. Make sure patties get cooked all way through. Center should not be cold.

Patties will be beautifully brown, crunchy, and very delicious. Squeeze on some fresh lemon. mmmmm… they are to die for.

Courtesy of: Sam Triplett

The canned salmon bones are so soft you can easily crush them with a fork and leave them in the patties for some added calcium. You won’t even notice they are there.

Ingredients:

* 1 can (approx. 7 ounces) salmon
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. pepper
* 1 onion diced
* olive oil, enough to cover bottom of skillet

Preparation:
Remove skin and bones from salmon; drain well. In mixing bowl, combine with egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and onion. Make patties about 2 inches in diameter; fry in oil until brown on both sides about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle salmon patties with salt.

I LOVE salmon patties! I use the canned wild caught Red Sockeye salmon and they taste just like my mom used to make.

1 14 oz. can wild caught Red Sockeye salmon, drained
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 onion, diced
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Mix all ingredients together, form into patties and fry in olive oil for about 4 minutes per side until nice and brown. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice and salt and pepper as desired.

For a colorful and flavorful variation, I add one red pepper, minced.

Another variation I often use is to add 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and 2 tbsp Hellmann’s mayo to the mixture.