Salt & Pepper Shrimp

Hi, I go to this chinese food restaurant and have Salt & Pepper Shrimp or Squid. The owner wont give me the recipe. Well I am here now in hopes that someone might?? The shrimp are in a light crispy batter then they I believe are put in a Hot wok and charred a bit and have a salty and peppery taste to them with a smokey taste also. Does any one know how they cook and make these wonderful morsels??
Thanks for you time and help. You can email me directly if you wish.
Carol in Oregon

I hope this helps:

Salt and Pepper Shrimp
Serves 4

* 1 pound medium shrimp (about 25 shrimp), head removed, deveined, but not shelled
* 2 to 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch, as needed
* 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt )for sea salt use 1 1/2 - 2 t.)
* 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black, white, or Szechuan peppercorns
* 4 cups oil for deep-frying

Soak the shrimp in warm, lightly salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the shrimp with the tapioca starch or cornstarch.
In a small bowl, mix the salt with the freshly ground peppercorns and set aside.
Heat the oil to 360 degrees Fahrenheit in a deep fat fryer, heavy saucepan with deep sides or a second wok (it is easiest not to deep-fry and stir-fry the shrimp in the same wok).

Carefully add the shrimp to the hot oil, 4 to 5 at a time, and deep-fry until they turn bright orange (about 40 seconds). Make sure the temperature does not fall below 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Carefully remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Continue deep-frying the remainder of the shrimp.
Heat a wok on medium heat. Add the salt and pepper mixture and the deep-fried shrimp. Stir-fry briefly to coat the shrimp in the mixture (20 to 30 seconds). Serve hot.

Wok Flashed Salt and Pepper Shrimp with Lemon Basmati Rice

Ingredients:

? 1 1/2 pounds large shrimps (U 15), deveined, shell on
? 1/2 tablespoon ground black peppercorns
? 1 teaspoon ground white peppercorns
? 1/2 teaspoon ground szechuan peppercorns
? 1 tablespoon fleur de sel
? 1/2 cup cornstarch
? 4 stalks fine chopped scallions, green part only. Save white part for rice.
? 1/4 cup canola oi

lLEMON BASMATI RICE
? White scallions from above
? 1 tablespoon canola oil
? 2 cups basmati rice, washed until water is clear
? 2 large slices of ginger
? Zest of 2 lemons
? Juice of 1 lemon
? 1 teaspoon salt
? Pinch of white peppercorn
? 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, can substitute water

Preparation:

Soak shrimp in salty cold water for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. In a large bowl, mix peppercorns, salt and cornstarch. Dredge shrimp in mixture.

In a very hot wok, add oil and fry the shrimp quickly. Add the scallions. Cook until shrimp are pink, only 3 to 5 minutes.

LEMON BASMATI RICE
In a saucepan, saute scallions and zest in oil. Add rice and ginger and sauee for 3 minutes. Add zest, juice, salt, pepper and chicken stock, cover and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Pull off of heat and let stand for another 25 minutes with cover still on.
Yield: 4 servings

Thats the one thanks ever so much.
Carol

You’re quite welcomed! enjoy!