Sausage And Peppers

I found a couple of recipes a few years ago and tweaked them to make them mine. I don’t take full credit but I do get raves about it; then again why would we post any recipes that bombed??? :wink:

I usually cook for 5 of us (soon to be 6) and to have enough left over for about 4 lunches and 3 or 4 servings of leftover meals. Tastes even better a day or 2 later. I like meals like this because it’s an all-in-one meal.

Prep Time: Don’t know, I enjoy cooking too much to worry about a little thing like time. The slicing of veggies takes the longest so I usually have my middle one do that. And then the other 2 clean after dinner. My wife likes that.

Cook Time: Haven’t timed it…sorry…don’t know.

1 Package Sweet/Mild Italian Sausage
1 Package Hot Italian Sausage
Olive Oil
2 - 3 Medium Onions (white/yellow…doesn’t matter)
2 Large Green Peppers
2 Large Red Peppers
1 Orange Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper - (I know peppers are expensive if you buy them so the pepper colors are a variable.) (All cut into julienne strips.)
3 - 4 Large Cloves of Garlic
Large Can of Mushrooms - Stems and Pieces - Drained
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Onion Salt - Only a pinch.
Adobo Seasoning
Garlic Pepper
5 Cups Instant Rice
5 Cups Water.

I pour the oil in large sauce pot, maybe eighth of an inch or less. Enough to coat the bottom and leave some to roll around. Sear the sausages (whole) until almost browned on all sides using medium-high heat. I use tongs and a wooden spoon to sear the curved sides of sausages (sometimes it stings) :rolleyes: . Set on paper towel/plate to drip. DO NOT DRAIN PAN!!!

Slice garlic and onions and use the sausaged oil to sauté the garlic and onions. After a few minutes, start adding seasonings…all to taste. I don’t use salt as there is plenty already in the sausage plus with the dash of Onion Salt. Usually at this point I would add some more oil as the seasoning will eliminate some of the oil.

Add the drained can of mushrooms.

After this has sautéed for a few minutes I start adding the peppers. A handful at a time, turning to coat with oil and onions and mushrooms. I add more seasoning during this procedure. Mix thoroughly.

The sausages should be cool enough to touch by this point. I slice the sausages and drop them into the pot with the peppers etc. After every couple of sausages I stir the mixture together. I add a little more oil (I like a good stock to coat the rice).
Put this on medium-low heat, cover, and let cook until sausage is cooked thoroughly; stirring often.

Cook the rice per directions on box. This is how I do it - Put 5 Cups water in sauce pan add pinches of above mentioned seasonings (to taste), cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add instant rice. Stir with fork, cover and let cook for a few minutes until water is absorbed.

By the time rice is done so should be the peppers and sausage. Serve over rice and enjoy.

Thanks
Will