Sausage and Sauerkraut Meal
- 1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, regular or low fat turkey kielbasa, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut crosswise into rings
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced and into rings
- 1 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 8 medium red potatoes, (about 3 lbs.), peeled and quartered
Place half of the kielbasa in an electric slow cooker; top with sauerkraut, remaining sausage, apple slices, and onion rings. Pour broth over mixture, and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Cover with lid, and cook on high-heat setting for 4 hours or until apples and onions are tender.
Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
Makes 8 servings