Sausage Recipe

In Wisconsin the deer hunting season just ended. I would like to make my own sausage from venison. The style I am looking for is a smoked/cured summer sausage. I prefer the German style but would appreciate any home made sausage recipe of this type.

Thanks in advance.

This is not your usual greasy stuff. You can stuff it into casings if desired or bake in foil, or just as is.
I have smoked this with good results as wellas increasing the amount of liquid smoke; I also have rolled the loafs in crushed black pepper before cooking.

Recipe Name: VENISON LOAF ( BALONAGA)
Category: 18TH CENTURY
Serves: 25

SOURCE	RALEIGH                                          

5 Tblsp Tender Quick (Morton’s) preservative
1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3 Tsp. Salt
2 1/2 Tsp. Mustard seed or ground
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tsp. Liquid Smoke
1 Tsp. Fennel Seeds, cracked
1 Tsp. Celery seed
2 1/2 Tsp. Garlic
1 Tsp. Anise seed , cracked
5 Pound Ground venison

Place the ground deer in a large flat pan. Spread it out. Mix all the seasonings together in a seperate bowl. Sprinkle some of the seasoning mix over the top of the meat and mix (knead it) very well. Add more seasonings and mix well again. Continue this untill all of the seasoning mix has been added and thoruoghly mixed into the meat. I use rubber gloves for this step.

Now place the pan in the refridgerator, uncovered for 24 hours.
Next day, remove from fridge, remix, and place back in fridge, uncovered for another 24 hours.

Remove from fridge and form into loaves about 1 lb each. The loaf should be about 8 inches long and 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter.

Place the loaves on a cookie sheet or lasagna pan and place in the oven at 200 degrees for 8 to 10 hours, turning the loaves after about 6 hours. After about 7 hours you might want to cut open a loaf to see how it is cooking.
This will be a dry type loaf unlike the wet greasy summer sausages.

This treat can be easily sliced and a great snack. Loaves can be placed in a zip-lock bag and frozen for extended use. They store well for quite some time in the refrigerator.

Makes 5 - 1 pound loaves