2 t. baking soda
1/3 c sugar
½ c buttermilk
1 ¼ c raisins
2 T. cream of tartar
½ t. salt
¾ c butter
2 eggs, beaten

Mix dry ingredients and then cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins, buttermilk and beaten eggs. Knead dough on floured surface several times, and then pat out to 1” thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on un-greased baking sheets. Bake 15 - 20 minutes in 375 oven.

Note
Scones may be made up and frozen uncooked for no longer than 6 weeks. Put the scones on a baking sheet and put in the freezer until frozen solid. Put in freezer bags and label.

To Bake: Do not thaw. Place scones on baking sheets and bake in pre-heated 375 oven until golden brown, 20 -25 minutes.

Source My CB’s: The Best Recipes from Gold Country Bed & Breakfast Inns of Tuolumne County California.

Orange Scones

2 ½ c flour
¼ c sugar
¾ t. salt
¼ c cold butter, in pieces
1 c plain yogurt
2 t. grated orange zest
¾ c raisins
½ c whole-wheat flour
1 T baking powder
¼ t. baking soda

Pre-heat the oven to 375o.
Grease baking sheet lightly.

Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, and soda and salt together. Add butter and cut with pastry cutter till it resembles coarse meal. Add yogurt and zest and stir until dough pulls away from side of bowl (dough will be crumbly). Stir in raisins. Gather dough into a ball and turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly, just until smooth. Divide in two. Pat each half of dough into a 7” circle and cut into wedges 2” apart on prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 15 min. Cool slightly on wire rack before serving.

Source My CB’s: The Best Recipes from Gold Country Bed & Breakfast Inns of Tuolumne County California.

OAT SCONES

1 c un-sifted all-purpose flour

1 c old fashioned rolled oats

½ t. salt

1 T. sugar

½ c milk

½ t. baking soda

1 t. cream of tartar

¼ c shortening

Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening, and then add milk and mix with fork to soft dough. Roll out on floured board to ½ “ thickness and cut into round or triangle shapes, put on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 min., or until golden brown. Serve warm with orange marmalade, or other jam or jelly.
Makes 8 large, 12 small