Share Dinner Ideas

How often do you find yourself asking the question “What’s for Dinner?” I’d say at least twice per week I find that I don’t really have a taste for anything and I can’t come up with any ideas.

I’m sure I’m not the only one. Therefore, I think it will be interesting if we all share some dinner ideas.

Even if you talk about what you had tonight, the more contributions the better. Hopefully we can all get some great ideas from this topic. :wink:

Try to share complete dinner ideas - meat or pasta, vegetable, side dish, desert (if any), etc…

Recipes would be great but not required. 8)

All the best,

Ron

Ok, I’ll start it off. Here’s what I had tonight (kudos to the Misses):

Beef short ribs
Scallop potatoes
Mixed vegetables
Frozen yogurt with strawberries

Yummy :smiley:

Ron

WE ARE HAVING CHICKEN BREASTS IN THE CROCKPOT DONE WITH ORANGE JUICE, GARLIC AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR.

We had cabbage rolls this evening, with the one hour bread recipe…is yummy!

OK, today was leftover day…
Yesterday, I made copycat Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken and so today I used the leftover chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, warmed it up and put into a bowl with salad fixin’s, poured Bleu Cheese Dressing over all, tossed it and with the leftover rice, I added mixed vegetables, chicken bouillon, and soy sauce to taste. I fried this and added two scrambled eggs on top. Yummy!

Applebee’s® Crispy Orange Skillet
Categories: Copycat
Yield:

2 lbs.boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  1    egg

1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. flour
oil for frying
frozen stir-fry vegetables
glaze:
1 t. minced garlic
1 1/2 t. grated orange rind
1 c. orange juice
1/2 c. hoisin sauce
dashcayenne pepper
1/4 c. sugar
salt
pepper

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Oil (for frying)

Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and oil. Mix well and set aside.

Stir cornstarch and flour together in another large bowl and mix well. Add chicken mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to coat each piece well. Pour enough oil to be at least 1/2-inch deep in a wok or heavy skillet and set over high heat. When it reaches 375F (hot!) carefully add chicken pieces in small batches and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Continue frying chicken in small batches until all are nicely browned and crisp. Set aside while you make the glaze:

1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup hoisin sauce*
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Cool the oil in the skillet slightly, then remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil and set over medium heat. Sauté garlic in oil for 1 minute (if the oil is too hot the garlic will turn bitter). Add rest of ingredients and bring to boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens to your liking, stirring frequently.

Pour glaze over chicken. Note: Applebee’s tosses the chicken and orange glaze with an array of stir-fry vegetables like broccoli, snow peas and red peppers. Serve chicken over a bed of cooked white rice. Garnish with slivered almonds and crispy noodles. Serves 4 to 6.

Tonight I made a chicken casserole, using about 1-1/2 to 2 C cut up chicken, 1 can creamy chicken and mushroom soup, 2/3 C mayo, 1/2 C sour cream, sm can of mushrooms, some onion powder and celery seed. (Family has omitted water chestnuts, but I love them) Combine all and bring to bubble. My variation to save time, is to precook the rice, 2C each instant rice and water, and mix it in with the chicken mixture (you can serve separately though, like an ala king). Place all in a 9X13 baking pan, top with flatly rolled out crescent rolls, sprinkle some squeeze margarine across the top, and bake for 20-25 mins. Serve with a side veggie. (Your fave cheese could be substituted for the margarine)

It was GONE, all of it. :wink:

Mock Chicken Legs

This was an all time favorite of mine when I was a kid.

Pork sausage shaped in the form of a chicken leg on a wooden skewer. Then coated with a chicken coating mixture and baked for 35 – 40 minutes

2 lbs pork sausage – regular (mediumor spicey is too much)
3 chicken bouillon cubes crushed or 3 Tbs chicken bouillon
Wooden skewers
Chicken coating (shake-N-bake do not substitute)

Mix sausage and chicken bouillon in a bowl. Take about a palmful (1/4 lb) meat and roll into a ball in your hands. Place meat on a clean surface and either shape into form of a chicken leg or the shape of a hotdog. Place wooden skewer through the meat to hold its shape. Place skewered meat into the refrigerator for 1-hour minimum to chill and form.

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Roll mock chicken in chicken coating mixture and set on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat in oven for 35 minutes turning after 20 minutes. Cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked.

we had a good old fattening favorite. Country Fried steak(cube steak dredged in flour) white gravy from the pan drippings, mashed potatoes, corn and broccoli. With whole wheat buttermilk biscuts. Soooo good but can only eat like that rarely!

we had a good old fattening favorite. Country Fried steak(cube steak dredged in flour) white gravy from the pan drippings, mashed potatoes, corn and broccoli. With whole wheat buttermilk biscuts. Soooo good but can only eat like that rarely!

k, so one of my favorite dishes is breaded chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes and cream-style corn…so i adapted it to this recipe:

1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or cutlets - if using breasts, i usually “filet” them from end to end so you end up with a cutlet
1 egg
3Tbs milk or water
bread crumbs to coat all the chicken

2 cups mashed potatoes (instant or leftover work great)
2 cans cream style corn

beat egg and milk together. coat chicken in bread crumbs, then the egg, then the bread crumbs again. fry (i use olive oil) until golden brown.

in 2.5 quart casserole, pour 2 cans of corn. press chicken down into the cream corn. top with the mashed potatoes (i have also been known to throw a layer of monterey jack or cheddar cheese under the potatoes).

dot with butter and sprinkle lightly with paprika. bake in 400 degree oven approximately 20 minutes (until the top is lightly browned)

hope you all enjoy this!

We had flank steak marinated in a Hawaiin teriyaki sauce (which I later heated and made as a sauce to drizzle over the meat) and put under the broiler for 20 minutes (10 minutes each side), baked potato’s and salad with shredded romano cheese and a vinagrette. For dessert we had raspberry jello set with sparkling cider (for a little zing) and fresh sliced strawberries, and a whipped cream topping.

I like cooking and reading cookbooks, so I have something different every night of the week. Tonight I have ministroni soup and buns and salad. Yesterday I make up potato salad, broccoli salad, spinich salad, pasta, cranberry, and almond salad, and cole slaw, and buns. The day before I had quiche and salad. I mostly cook vegetarian.

Cheese tortillini with mushroom pasta sauce, petite frozen peas and sliced fresh mushrooms. Heat in a pan over low heat for 20 minutes until mushrooms are cooked. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

What a novel idea!! Here is what we had for dinner tonite, well in part because I added a lovely tossed salad and garlic bread. I tried this recipe about one year ago out of curiousity and my family and friends loved it. I hope you do too!! A nice change from the usual ‘lasagna’ fare.

8 large noodles
3 T. butter
4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 T. fresh parsley
1 can pizza sauce (14 oz)
8 oz. pepperoni (thinly sliced)
10 oz. thinly sliced mozzarella cheese

1. Cook noodles, drain and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in medium fry pan. Saute mushrooms and garlic until tender and any liquid has evaporated. Blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk.Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens.Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
    3.Combing ricotta cheese, egg and parsley,set aside.
    4.Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce over bottom of shallow baking dish.
  3. Layer half the noodles, half the remaining pizza sauce,half the ricotta cheese mixture, half the mushroom sauce, half the pepperoni and half the mozzarella cheese slices.Repeat layering.
    6.Bake in preheated 375 oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Hmmmmm … This can be tough, especially after a long day at work. So I say, CROCK POT! I’ve chosen the healthy way to do this, but you can tweak it to your desired taste.

Carnitas (baked, not fried)*
*In crock pot add a pork should butt roast, with 2 T. cumin, 1 1/2 T. coriander, 2 bay leaves, two cans chicken broth, a pinch, or two, of chile powder and adobo, if desired. Let cook on low for 8-10 hours, or till thoroughly cooked. Remove meat from crock pot, tear meat into pieces removing any fat and discard the fat (the meat will fall apart) and cover the surface of a cookie sheet with meat. Cook, in preheated oven, at 425 degrees till meat is a bit crispy.

Whole Wheat Flout Tortillas (no lard)
Non-fat refried beans (Your fave brand)
Minute Rice Regular or Brown Rice**
**add some chives, cumin, cilantro, whatever flavor(s) suit you

Last night I served a whole turkey, mashed potatoes, string beans, corn, celery and carrot/raisin salad.

Tonight I am serving a tomato soup/rice/hamburger thing with left over veggies from last night.

Tomorrow I am serving a roast beef cooked in crock pot for 8 hours with cream of mushroom soup poured over the meat. I will also serve rice and lettuce salad.

These meals are not for dieters unless they just like to watch portions. These are wholesome meals prepared to give energy and make for happy tastebuds.

tonite we had cajun chicken and sausage gumbo with white rice and
potato salad. goodddddd

my favorite quick easy dinner is pasta roni and shrimp, crab. I always keep shrimp and crab on hand and the noodle mixes just make it super easy . My 5 yr old loves it and hey it doesn’t get better than a kid approval

tonite we will be having roti and duck curry, yesterday we had fried fish in (lolo) coconut milk with some cassava. :smiley:

We had some left-over soup made from miso and tofu. We added noodles, topped with green onion, left-over tempura carrots,onion rings and mushroom with a sprinkle of hot pepper. Served with a glass of wine.