Sliced Pumpkin Preserves with Grand Marnier

Sliced Pumpkin Preserves with Grand Marnier
Makes: 3 cups

Grated rind from 2 lemons
1 c. water
9 c. sliced pumpkin
2 1/8 c. sugar
¼ c. Grand Marnier

Peel and seed pumpkin. Processor slice the pumpkin. Add 1 1/8 c. sugar. Cook slowly, stir constantly until all the sugar is melted & the pumpkin is mostly cooked. If it gets to dry, add 1/4 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water until the extra cup of sugar and 1 c. of water is used. This should take about 2 hours. At the end, add 1/4 c. Grand Marnier.
You may also eliminate the Grand Marnier or you can add chopped macadamia or pistachio nuts to the plain or Grand Marnier Pumpkin jam.
Caution: be careful not to leave out the grated rind from 2 lemons. Safe canning requires a pH of under 4.6 and pumpkins are 5.0, as are carrots. For this reason, lemon, lemon rinds, or lime and lime rinds which have a pH of 2.2 and 2.0 respectively are usually added to bring the combined pH into the safety zone. Do not alter recipes unless you understand the significance of pH in a safely canned product.

Dear Kitchen Witch,

This is a great sounding recipe.
I have never cooked with fresh
pumpkin, always with canned,
for pumpkin bread, cake, soup
etc. Is there a type of cooking
pumpkin? I’ve heard the sugar
Pumpkin was a good one for
cooking. Maybe it doesn’t
mater but then how do I get
slices? Do pumpkins slice like
cantelope? Thanks :slight_smile:

Noel -

Personally - I prefer the sugar pumpkins. If you are interested in making your own puree - it’s very easy - and it freezes well. I have posted recipes for that on the forum and also I think they are in the Ingredient section of the forum under “pumpkin recipes.” Remember - you do not “can” your own puree - freezing is best recommended. I freeze in 1/2 cup and 1 cup measures - makes it real easy for baking!

I used to plant the sugar pumpkins, make the puree, pumpkin seeds, etc. I have a kitchen knife that looks like a machette - for slices I would cut it like a melon - but save those seeds! Let them dry and keep in an envelope to plant the following year or toast them and enjoy them.

As far as types of pumpkins - my friends have planted other types and used them as well - but I still say that the sugar pumpkin gives the best flavor.