Use a small amount of skinless smoked turkey breast instead of fatback to lower the fat content but keep the taste.
3 cups water
1/4 lb smoked turkey breast, skinless
1 Tbsp hot pepper, freshly chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cloves, ground
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp thyme
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 lbs greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture)
- Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems.
- Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add greens to turkey stock.
- Cook 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
Makes 5 servings–Serving size: 1 cup
Fat 2 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 378 mg