Southern Fried Chicken

HI,

I still need a recipe for Southern Fried Chicken that is very different from the norm. I’ve got a lot of recipes for fried chicken but they took a look and said that is not what they want. (RATS) I’ve got to take it to a picnic tomorrow. They told me if it was the same ole, same ole they would throw it out and wouldn’t eat it. I told them that was dirty and a waste of food, I also told that if it wasn’t what they want I would bring chicken I fried for them home and that they could fry some up for themselves…

Thanks Anyone,

Linda67

Crispy Orange Oven Fried Chicken

Serves 4

2 lb Chicken Pieces, skin removed
1/4 cup Orange Marmalade
2 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
3 tbsp Light Soya Sauce
3 tbsp Fat-Free Sour Cream
1 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
1 1/4 cups Unsalted Cracker Crumbs, finely crushed
1/4 cup sliced Almonds, coarsely chopped
Non-Stick Cooking Spray

METHOD:

Mix ginger into marmalade and brush onto the chicken pieces to coat.

Stir soya sauce, sour cream, and hot pepper sauce together; add to cracker crumbs and almonds. Combine well.

Press mixture onto the coated chicken pieces.

Place chicken on baking sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray

Bake at 375°F / 190°C in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces) or until chicken juices run clear without a trace of pink when pierced with a fork.

Instead of fried chicken…

Baked Chicken Nuggets with Apricot Dipping Sauce

Serves 4

Cooking Spray
4 Chicken Breasts, skinless and boneless
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tbsp Water
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tbsp Dried Basil Leaves
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Salt

APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE

1/2 cup Apricot Preserves
1 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp Minced Fresh Ginger

Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C.

Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Trim any excess fat from chicken, and cut into 1 1/2" / 4 cm pieces. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and water. Place chicken pieces into egg mixture, stirring to coat. Set aside.

In a large zippered plastic bag, combine bread crumbs, cheese, basil, thyme and salt. Shake well to combine.

Using a slotted spoon to drain excess egg mixture, transfer chicken pieces, a few at a time, to crumb mixture, close the bag and shake it. Repeat until all pieces are well-coated. Discard leftover egg and coating mixture.

Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, turn pieces over, and bake another 10 minutes. Nuggets are done when meat is no longer pink in the center. Serve warm, with this dipping sauce or your favourite.

Purée all dipping sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Makes about 1/2 cup / 125 ml.

How about kabobs?

Moroccan Chicken Kebobs

Serves 4

4 Chicken Breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Honey
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp each Cumin and Paprika
1/4 tsp each Salt and Pepper
dash Cayenne Pepper
4 Skewers

Place chicken pieces in shallow bowl. Mix all remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Pour marinade over chicken, and mix together lightly.

Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes in refrigerator.

Thread chicken onto skewers.

Bring marinade to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Broil or grill chicken over high heat for 10 to 12 minutes. During cooking, brush with marinade, and turn once. Chicken is done when juices run clear when meat is pierced.

Hints: You can prepare vegetable kabobs by adding red or green peppers, onion, and mushroom chunks onto skewers.

Tips: A marinade is a liquid mixture that food soaks in before grilling. The marinating time can be anywhere from 15 minutes to overnight. Since the meat of chicken has short fibres, the marinade is not used to tenderize, but to add flavour and colour.

Sizzling Cajun Drums

Serves 6

12 (2 lb/1kg) Chicken Drumsticks
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Pepper
Salt, to taste
Non-Fat Cooking Spray
1 Medium Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Horseradish
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Chicken Stock

Rinse drumsticks and pat dry. Set aside. In shallow dish, stir together flour, paprika, pepper and salt. Roll drumsticks in flour mixture, coating well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

In heavy skillet sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes. Add horseradish, oregano and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring until mixture reduces a bit (1 to 3 minutes). Stir in ketchup and stock, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Transfer to measuring cup and reserve for basting.

Place drumsticks on grill set to medium high and cook for about 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning often. Lower heat to medium and baste with sauce. Cook, turning and basting for 10 minutes longer.

All chicken should be crisp and thickly coated with sauce. Drumsticks should be tender and juices run clear when pierced with a fork.

Hi Aline,

Thank you so much for the chicken recipes. Think I will do the first one and nugget’s also the Cajun drums.

Now won’t that will give them some tasty chicken???

Just give them a variety of chicken. Also the dipping sauces sound so good.

Again a BIG THANK YOU!!! Have a nice Labor Day.

You’re welcome! Hope everything goes well.

Aline

All of the chicken was a huge success, I did not have to bring any of it home with me.

Now they want the recipes to all of the different chicken I took. WELL no way because they were so darn snooty about it yesterday.

I told my husband that it would be the COLDEST day In July before I gave them the wonderful recipes you sent to me that were our’s for dinners that I give occasionally.

Thanks Again

That will teach them alright!! LOL I’m glad everyone enjoyed your chicken.

Aline