SPAGHETTI WITH TURKEY MEAT SAUCE
Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey, and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
as needed nonstick cooking spray
1 lb ground turkey
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, cut up
1 C finely chopped green pepper
1 C finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp black pepper
1 lb spaghetti, uncooked
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Yield: 6 servings–Serving Size: 5 oz sauce and 9 oz spaghetti
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 280 mg