Spanish Cuisine - Entrees

PAELLA ESTILLO SEVILLANA

Here’s a savory, classic dish from the South of Spain, also popular in Mexico, served as an early Sunday supper after the Corrida to celebrate an excellent Bull Fight (I know, a lot of you don’t approve of La Fiesta Brava, but you can STILL enjoy a fine meal.)

Preparation: 30-40 min. Cooking Time: 20-25 min. Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:

1 Large (3-3 1/2 lbs.) Frying Chicken, cut in pieces (prior to combining with other ingredients, lightly brown - unflowered - in 3 tbsp (1/4 cup Olive Oil, (reserve in warmer)

2 lbs. Medium (16-20 count), shelled, devained and rinsed. Drain well

2 lbs. Small, fresh Little Neck Clams, washed and scrubbed

2 lbs. fresh Mussles, washed, scrubbed and beards removed

2 lbs. Red Snapper or other firm, white fish (optional)

2-3 lbs. King Crab or large Snow Crab legs, unshelled and wiped with damp cloth

2 Large Onions (Red, White or Yellow) finely diced

1-4 Medium fresh Chile Peppers (choice of type), seeded and fine diced

2 Cups Long Grain Rice (Basmati or other premium brand), steamed and set aside in warmer

1 qt can Italian (Roma) Tomatoes or 4 large Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped

1 tbsp. Spanish Saffron - 1 1/2 tsp. Salt (divided) - 4 whole dry Bay Leaves, crumbled

2 tsp ground corriander - 1/2 bunch fresh Cilantro, coarsely chopped

1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)

1 Bunch each Cilantro (reserve 1/2 bunch) and Italian (flat) Parsley

1 Cup Chicken Stock or boiling water with 2 Bullion Cubes

1/2 Cup grated Queso Blanco (Mexican firm White Cheese)

Preparation:

Cut Chicken from bones and chunk in irregular sized pieces, place in a large, deep skillet with 1/4 cup Olive Oil, sautee until no pink shows, then add Onions, Chile Pepper, and chopped Cilantro, heat on high until Onion is soft and reduce heat. Add Rice, Tomatoes, Chicken Broth and spices, blend thoroughly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer until hot and flavors are blended. Rice should be a deep Yellow color.

Serve with hot, crispy Bollios (Mexican dinner rolls), butter and Roquefort Cheese on the side. Paella in European-style (flat) soup bowls, garnish with Cilantro leaves, Italian Parsley and Queso Blanco. Enjoy with Spanish or Mexican white table wine or beer of your choice. Cold White Sangria would also be a good choice.

Mark II

This sounds wonderful! Hope to get a chance to make it soon!

Karissa

I think this would be excellent and I would have to cut it down some.

I know that large families would enjoy

Bull fights are good in Spain and I would go to Spain

Thanks for the recipe
hj :wink: