(makes 8 servings)
3 large tomatoes, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup (120 g) chopped red onion
1 large cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 jalapeÃ±o chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
2 1/2 cup (600 ml) low-sodium vegetable juice cocktail
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
Tabasco or other hot sauce, to taste
freshly ground pepper
1 medium ripe avocado
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, cucumber, chile pepper, garlic, and paprika in the workbowl of a food processor blender. Add about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the vegetable juice cocktail and pulse until vegetables are finely minced.
- Add remaining juice cocktail and lemon juice. Pulse another 30 seconds.
- Pour into a covered container. Taste and add hot sauce, salt (if using), and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve, seed and peel the avocado. Dice.
- Serve gazpacho in small plastic beverage cups, topping each portion with some of the avocado.
Per serving: 86 calories (34% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (3 vegetable), 1 fat