Spicy Tortilla Soup
(makes 6 servings)
6 cups (1.4 l) 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
canola oil cooking spray
1 cup (160 g) chopped white onion
2 jalapeÃ±o chile peppers, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (600 g) chopped plum tomato
1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) crushed dried oregano
freshly ground pepper to taste
6 fresh corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 cup (140 g) shredded cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup (84 g) shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 small ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut lengthwise into twelve wedges
2 scallions, white part and 2 inches green, chopped
3 tablespoons (12 g) chopped cilantro
1 fresh lime, cut into six wedges
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil; reduce heat to simmer.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, chile peppers, and garlic. SautÃ© over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper. SautÃ©, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to soup pot and stir into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450Â° (230Â°C), Gas Mark 8. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes, tossing strips occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Stir cooked chicken into simmering soup.
- To serve, place 2 tablespoons (14 g) shredded cheese in each of 6 shallow soup bowls. Divide the soup equally between the bowls and top each serving with two avocado slices and some of the scallion and cilantro. Float tortilla strips on top and offer a wedge of lime to squeeze over each serving.
Per serving: 215 calories (32% calories from fat), 17 g protein, 8 g total fat (2.7 g saturated fat), 21 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 30 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 2 very lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 vegetable), 1 fat