Spinach

I’ve tried to eat spinach many ways but just can’t seem to acquire a taste for it. Husband and daughter love it! So I’m thinking that I would try BABY spinach instead. Is there a difference in taste between baby spinach and regular spinach (the shriveled ones)? Is one stronger than the other?

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it in lasagna, sautéed with garlic and olive oil, in my salad greens, in dips, etc. I just find it so bitter-tasting and thought that maybe the baby spinach would be less bitter.

Thanks again!

I love all spinach. My family likes it the best when I steam it and fry crumbled bacon and onions. Then I add red wine vinegar and top the spinach with this mixture. Baby spinach is not as strong and works well here. GL Let me know what you think.

In learning to cook greens (my husband was a Georgia boy), my mother-in-law said to put a bit of sugar to sweeten them and it worked. At that time, I was not a fan of southern greens but that bit of sugar made a big difference.

I also learned to use vinegar in greens and it definitely made a difference.

Hope this helps.

A J

I find that some butter fat (in butter, cream, sour cream, cheese, cream cheese, milk, etc.) does mask the bitterness. I can eat a whole package of frozen spinach if I put sour cream and butter (not margarine) in it. And when you use fresh spinach, removing the sems helps a lot with reciding the bitterness. A COMPLETE method of removing the stems is to fold the spinach leaf in half, the underside out, with the stem along one side, and just grab the top of the stem and pullit down along the leaf towards the bottom of it. Not only the TOP part of the stem comes off but the part that runs along the UNDER side of the leaf comes off as well. Very easy, and doesn’t really take much more time than tearing off the top part of the stem. Plus those stems are AWFULLY tough and kinda stringy…

Thanks for all your tips/advice on spinach. They are very much appreciated. Will let you all know what I did and think about spinach after I’ve tried your suggestions. :smiley:

When we cook our spinich we put it in a frypan with enough water to cover the botton of the pan, 1 small chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic minced, 2 tbls butter. We place a lid on the pan and steam/cook for about 10 minutes. We then add crumbled bacon before serving.

Beet greens and Swiss chard are also good cooked this way.

Here’s a way to disguise spinach. Your family may not like it as much, as it has the spinach flavor well masked, but it’s a GREAT way to get the incredible nutritional value of spoinach into someone who HATES it.

Spinach Provencale

1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg (about 10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
l egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c. parmesan cheese (it’s best to use the fresh, not the ready-grated)

Saute the onion and garalic in the oil until soft. Mix all ingredients, reserving a bit of the parmesan cheese. Pour into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Bake at 350 until the egg is set.

Aline, I wish I had an idea to help, I don’t like cooked spinach, not even creamed…I have eaten it raw in salads but my complaint there is having to clean it, leaf by leaf!..LOL so I gave up, and I don’t miss it. :smiley:

try with bacon grease and butter salt and pepper it’s great on both kinds

Hi, I live in Los Angeles, Ca. and would love to make one of my favorite dishes which is salmon with vodka cream sauce on a bed of sauteed spinach but I don’t want to get sick and die. Well I heard that they cleared spinach, but personally the only spinach I am using right now is frozen. Has anyone heard if it’s safe to eat spinach yet?