Steak and Mushroom Soup
(makes 12 servings)
2 medium onions, about 1/2 pound (240 g), coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
3 tablespoons (27 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) lemon pepper seasoning
1 1/2 pounds (720 g) lean beef top round steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
1 14 1/2-ounce (435 g) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 pound (480 g) button mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
7 cups (1.7 l) fat-free low-sodium canned beef broth
1 large bay leaf
1 pound (480 g) Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- Put onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a 5-quart or larger crockery slow cooker.
- In a large self-sealing plastic bag, combine flour, lemon pepper seasoning and thyme. Add beef cubes and toss to coat evenly. Place meat on top of the onion mixture. Cover the meat with the tomatoes and their juice. Top with the mushrooms. Pour beef broth into slow cooker. Add the bay leaf. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours or on HIGH for 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours.
- Add the chard and stir the soup, removing and discarding the bay leaf… Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes or on HIGH for 15 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
Per 1-cup serving: 139 calories (17% calories from fat), 19 g protein, 3 g total fat (1.0 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 38 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium
Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable