Steak Roll ups

Does anyone have a recipe for beef rounds to stuff and roll. I have things like bread crumbs , eggs, sauces, spices, but no cheese. Dont want to drag the babies and a 5yr old through the rain to pick up extra stuff…

Well I’m not sure what type of steak you have, or how many people you’re feeding, but here is something I’ve made in the past with great success. The quantities will of course depend on how much you plan on making.

1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 TBS butter, divided
2 cups fresh bread cubes or 1 cup bread crumbs
1-2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 TBS dried oregano
1 TBS dried parsley
1 cup red wine, divided (beef connsomme or broth will work too)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 TBS butter over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add 1/2 cup of the wine (or broth) and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost evaporated. Add the tomato sauce and spices. (If using fresh bread cubes you’ll probably only want to use 1 can, but with dry crumbs you might need 2.) Stir the mixture and then add the bread cubes (or crumbs). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced to a stuffing-like consistency. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Place your pieces of beef between 2 pieces of wax paper (doing this one piece at a time) and pound with a tenderizer until they are of uniform thickness. Spread some of the stuffing on each piece of beef, and roll up in a jelly roll fashion. Tie each piece on both ends and in the center with butchers twine.

In an oven proof pan with a lid over medium high heat, melt the remaining 2 TBS of butter. Cook the beef rolls until just seared on all sides. Remove the pan from the heat, place the cover on it, and place in the oven. Cook for anywhere between 7 and 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cut of meat and how you like your steak). Remove the pan from the oven and remove the beef rolls to a serving dish.

At this point, if you’d like to make a pan sauce for the beef rolls, add either the 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 cup of beef broth, or 1/2 cup of sherry if you have it, to the pan. Place the pan over medium high heat and deglaze it (add the liquid, and using a wooden spoon, scrape around the bottom of the pan to remove the bits of meat that have stuck to the bottom). Reduce the heat to low, and add 1/2 TBS of butter and 1/2 TBS of flour (mixed together prior) to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to thicken. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add some water, or more beef broth. I do not advise adding any more alcohol as it will not cook off at this low of a temperature. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the beef rolls. If you get a chance to try it let me know what you think. Enjoy!