substituting certain fruits

i’m curious to know what i might substitute for pineapple since i’m allergic to it. i’d also like to know what i can substitute for strawberries and raspberries since those are two my dad is allergic to.

i’m mainly thinking of fruit salads. i like sweet and sour chicken, but it usually has pineapple in it. i did have it once with apple instead and it was really good like that.

I’m not too sure if I am following you - if making a fruit salad - use the fruits you want.

Substituting fruit - for what kind of a recipe?

Sweet and sour chicken - not pineapple

1 family pack chicken pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. soya sauce
3 tbsp.cornstarch
2 tbsp. water

Arrange chicken in 3-quart casserole pan. Mix first amount of water,vinegar,ketchup, and soya sauce together in pot over medium heat. Mix cornstarch in remaining water.Stir in pot until thickened. Pour over chichen.Cover and bake @ 350 for 1 1/4 hours until tender.Spoon sauce over chicken before serving.Serve with rice. Serves 4-5.

Sunset chicken

1/4 c Margarine or butter
1 ts Cinnamon
1/4 c Frozen orange juice
1 ts Orange peel; grated
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Sugar
1/8 ts Pepper
1/4 ts Ground ginger
1/2 ts Garlic powder
3 lb Chicken pieces

In small saucepan melt butter; add all other ingredients except chicken and
mix well. Place chicken pieces, skin side down, on a rack in foil lined
shallow baking pan. Brush generously with sauce. Bake at 350 for 30
minutes. Turn chicken, brush generously with sauce; bake until chicken is
fork tender and golden brown (about 30 minutes longer) brushing
occasionally with sauce.

Blueberries, blackberries, - is he allergic to those?

sometimes blackberries set him off, but it depends on if they were processed or grown with strawberries. blueberries don’t seem to, but he doesn’t like them as much as i do. i knew that about the fruit, but it’s hard to make a fruit salad since those seem to always find in the recipes. it’s like they are the staples or base of a fruit salad.

as for the chicken, i wasn’t sure if anything could be used for it because the pineapple is the sweet part of it. thanks for thoe recipes though, i’ll try them out.

i also have been finding a lot of other recipes that look really good, but then i read the ingredients and they use canned chucked pineapple. it’s annoying more than anything.

thank you so much for the recipes!

nadina - when it comes to fruit salads - you can use any fruits you want - anything goes.

I hope you enjoy the recipes -

KW

i did find something on another site about pineapple. it said i could substitute peach or apricot for it! i don’t know how well it would taste, but worth a try!!

also, i found a few other recipes in which pineapple was used in the dish, like carrot cake, can i use peaches or another fruit instead? (i’m not sure since i don’t make it that often and none i’ve made have had pineapple in them.)

sorry for not being here all that much, i’ve been busy with other stuff.

I don’t know if the peaches would hold us as well as the pineapple - you can leave the pineapple out completely. but you can always try!

this recipe has no pineapple - if it helps any:

2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup walnuts…chopped well
2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a bowl beat with a mixer sugar and vegetable oil …well.
Add eggs and beat well
Add a little 1/2 the flour mix slow and all spices in the center mix slow
add the rest of the flour and mix well. Add the vanilla mix

Now fold in grated carrots mix with large wooden spoon…blend in well
Fold in the chopped walnuts.

Pour into greased and floured cake pans or used sheet cake pan

Bake 350 degrees 35 minutes to 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean

Icing:
1 stick of Butter
little whole milk for consistancy to your liking
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powder sugar

2 cups sugar 
1 1/2 cups salad oil 
2 cups carrots, grated 
2 cups self-rising flour 
2 cups pecan pieces 
4 eggs 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
dash of salt 
Hot Glaze: 
1 cup sugar 
Juice of one orange 

Cream 2 cups sugar and oil. Add eggs one at a time. Add carrots, flour and salt and stir. Stir in nuts and bake in 8" tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Hot Glaze: heat orange juice and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a full boil. Turn baked cake upside down on serving plate. Slowly spoon filling over top and sides of cake. Repeat until all glaze has soaked in cake.

~~~~~~~

Carrot Cake
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 lbs carrots, grated fine (7 cups)
1 cup plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Tangy Cream Cheese Frosting
1 lb cream cheese, softened (two 8 oz. packages)
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners? sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream

1. For the cake: Toss grated carrots with 1 cup granulated sugar in colander set over a large bowl; drain until one cup liquid has collected, 20 to 30 minutes.

2. Adjust the oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour bottom and sides of two 9 inch by 1 1/2 inch or 9-inch by 2 inch round cake pans. Invert pans and rap sharply to remove excess flour.

3. Whisk flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in large bowl; set aside. 

4. Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently; cook until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; cool for 10 minutes, then whisk in remaining granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking thoroughly before adding the next; add vanilla. Add Flour mixture, stirring until almost combined, then mix in carrots.

5. Divide batter evenly between pans; smooth surfaces with spatula. Bake until cake feels firm in center when pressed lightly and toothpick inserted into cake center comes out perfectly clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer pans to wire rack; cool for 10 minutes. Run knife around the perimeter of each pan, invert cakes onto racks. Reinvert onto additional racks; cool completely before frosting.

For the Frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl with hand-held mixer on low speed until homogenous, 3 to 4 minutes. Add confections? sugar and sour cream; beat until well blended, 1 to 2 minutes longer.

To assemble the cake, place a dab of icing on the cake plate to secure the cake. Place the first layer bottom side up; frost top. Place second layer, bottom side up on top of the first layer. Frost sides, then top.

Variation: Carrot cake with Raisins and Walnuts. Toast 3/4 cup chopped walnuts in medium skillet set over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally to move nuts, until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Follow Master Recipe, adding 3/4 cups raisins and toasted walnuts along with carrots.

i see why you are an expert on here now!! lol! tyvm for all your help!! tackle huggles:smiley:

Naw - I’m not an expert - just a cook. thank you.