Sushi Bites!

Hello everyone, I sort of half-baked this recipe last night when I was going to make sushi and crab rangoon, but realized that I had no nori! I ended up with these sort of franken-sushi wontons that tasted amazing. I named them Sushi Bites. You can use any sushi filling that you would like, this one is a simple crab and cream cheese roll.

Preheat deep fryer to 375

SUSHI RICE:
1 Cup short-grain rice (I use Botan Calrose rice)
1 Cup + 3 tbsp Water
1/4 Cup Unseasoned Rice Vinegar
1/2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt

Combine rice and water in rice maker and let it cook. While cooking the rice, combine Rice Vinegar, Powdered Sugar, and Salt in a small pot and heat to just before boiling. Stir until salt and sugar have dissolved. After rice has finished cooking, use a rice paddle to spoon into a large bowl (preferably wooden, but plastic works). Fold vinegar mixture slowly into the rice, make sure to fold the rice and not smash it. Not all of the mixture needs to be used in some cases, as too much can cause the rice to become loose.

If you are going to use this rice to make actual sushi rolls as well, you might want to fan the rice as you are folding the vinegar into it, as it adds a glossy sheen to the rice that makes it more pleasing to the eye.

SUSHI BITES:
Sushi Rice
16 Wonton Skins
2 Crab Meat stick, chopped into ~8 pieces per stick
3 tsp Cream Cheese
Bowl of water

Start by taking a wonton skin and spreading about 1tsp rice on it, do not go out to the edges, just make a small bed in the middle. Take one piece of crab meat and approx 1/4tsp cream cheese and place them on the rice. There are many different ways to fold wonton skins, I typically fold them by moistening two adjacent edges, and then fold it over, making a triangle shape. After that moisten an edge, and fold that point up to the middle point. Then flip it over and do the same with the remaining point.

Deep fry at 375 until golden brown, and serve hot.