Sweet Chili Sauce - Chinese
Great with deep-fried food
* 1 lbs fresh red chilies
* 1 small piece shrimp paste * 3 ½ oz dried chilies * 3 oz ginger * 1 ½ oz raisins * 1 ½ ozs garlic * ½ quart water * 10 oz sugar * 3 tbsp salt * ¾ cup vinegar
- Remove the stems of the fresh chilies, wash and drain.
- Blend all the ingredients A with half of the red chilies. Add some water. Blend till you have a fine texture. Add in the rest of the chilies and continue to blend till fine.
- Combine the water, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Add in the blended chili mixture and simmer for 30 mins on a very low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from sticking.
- When the sauce is quite thick, pour in the vinegar and simmer for another 5 mins.
- Leave to cool in a large bowl before storing in dry, clean bottles.