Texas Roadhouse Chili

Texas Roadhouse Chili

Texas Roadhouse chili is loaded with meat and beans. It’s a hearty and flavorful dish that is heavy on spices and onions. Billed on the restaurant menu as “Texas Red Chili”, this chili is simple to make and can be customized based on spice preferences and the number of servings needed.

4 pounds beef chuck
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons diced garlic
1 cup yellow or white onion, diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 ground cumin seeds[3]
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (Spanish paprika)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup jalapenos, sliced and seeded
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn tortilla flour)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup red onions, diced

Texas Roadhouse Chili Recipe

Cut beef chuck into 1/2 inch cubes.[4]
Place 3 tablespoons of oil into the bottom of a dutch oven or large pot and allow to heat.
Place diced garlic and white or yellow onion into the hot oil and allow to cook for about 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-high, then add the beef cubes to the pot.
Stir constantly and allow the meat to brown.
Lower the temperature to medium once the meat has a slight brown color with no red visible.
Add Italian seasonings, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, chili powder, vinegar, brown sugar, tomatoes,beans, black pepper, diced jalapenos, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Stir to combine.
Simmer mixture for about 10 minutes, then add masa harina, or corn tortilla flour to help thicken the mixture.
Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the mixture reaches a thick consistency.
Ladle out individual servings into bowls, then top with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped red onions.

Sounds like a really good chili. I like a a thick, hearty chili. I’m not a big kidney bean fan, so I usually use a combination of black beans and pinto beans in my chili. This recipe has me hungry for some chili now.

How much cumin do you use?

I saw another recipe for Texas Road House Chili and it called for (3) crushed Cumin Seeds, hope this may help as that is what I used

1 1/2 TBSP. 3 tsp=1TBSP & then 1 tsp & 1/2 tsp is the equivalent. I hope that helps. If you want do not ad all the cumin & then adjust up to the full amount per taste.