this is a bit different -

tomatoes and dumplings!

Fry bacon (1/2 lb.), drain and crumble. Drain drippings and place onion in the same pan to saute using a pat of butter for the onions (not the bacon fat).
I used about 2 cups onion, diced. When the onions got tender I added 2 cans (28 oz each) diced tomatoes - don’t drain them, about a teaspoon of so of sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer.

Meanwhile - make dumplings: 2 c. flour, 3 t. baking powder, 1 t. salt - cut in 1/4 c. cold butter until crumbly. A handful (about 1/4 c.) fresh minced parsley and about 1 c. milk - just enough to moisten.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering mixture; cover and simmer 20 - 25 minutes or until done (stick a toothpick in and see if it comes out clean). Don’t lift the cover while simmering.

Mangia!!!

You can always make dumplings from bisquick and add the parsley! Saves time!

KW,
My mom always made tomatoes and dumplings. I haven’t even thought them for years. Thanks for the memory booster. When our tomatoes come in, I will have to try your recipe. Could use canned but fresh is so much better. If I waited this long, another few weeks won’t kill me.

Got any more “oldies but goodies”?
Pat

My gram always made a dish that I absolutely loved! She would cook all the odds and ends in the macaroni department - spaghetti, linguini, shells, ziti, rigatoni - you name it and make a white sauce, toss well - place in a buttered casserole - but - get this - she would throw in a handful of raisins while tossing! she had big hands (sorry Gram - but they were much bigger than mine) and I loved the raisins in it. then she would bake it until the top got crusty and serve it cut into squares! And she always made her white sauce with LARD! We never could get her to use shortening - always had to be lard - just like the old days!

Should I confess??? Her version of white sauce was lard, eggs, salt and pepper! That’s it!

It actually doesn’t sound half bad except that I couldn’t deal with the lard. That word is not in my vocabulary and certainly in my kitchen (no offense KW’s gram). A lot of the older recipes were pretty tasty if we didn’t know what was in them. LOL My grandmother also used lard but her speciality was homemade biscuits.

Believe it or not - lard was a staple in her kitchen! I am quite sure that it would taste just as good with butter and eggs - but there is just something about gram’s dish that just made it so special. She concocted that during the depression and it was a keeper. And would you believe - no cholesterol problems and she used lard quite a bit!