This Question Is For Real

:???:You are probably thinking “Is she for real?” I assure you that I have been asking this question for a long time. My question is, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SOFT BOIL AN EGG? Also, do I put the egg in the boiling water or do I put it in right at the beginning before it starts to boil. What I am trying to find out is how to get the perfect soft boiled egg, one that is solid white and nice soft yolk. I have asked so many people and not one of them had the same answer. Could you please find out for me? Thank you. I am serious about this subject.
Lynn

I place the eggs in a nonreactive pan or pot with cold water enough to cover by an inch and bring the water to a boil. I then turn the heat off and cover the pot for 20 minutes.

I was actually wondering the same thing. It seems like so many people do it so many different ways. These ones seem pretty easy

In reality an egg should NEVER actually be boiled. This is why you end up with cracked eggs, eggs that have leaked or overcooked hard-boiled eggs…you place your eggs with cold water on the stove and just bring the water to the boiling point. TURN OFF THE HEAT and cover! Now the 3 minutes - yes for soft yolk eggs (longer for hard, of course)…you should play with the time you allow them to sit in the water bath to know exactly how YOU like them best…good luck! :wink:

Kimmy - Cooking temptress :wink:

Dont mean to be a butinski but if you add salt to the water it brakes done the membrain and the egg will slide out of the shell, never boil the egg, pull the pan off the heat and then put the egg in and use room temp eggs. for the time you want example 3 min for a thee min egg will be a little slimy

I now make mine like Kimmy. My mother told me about cooking them this way, and they turn out perfect everytime, without the yucky greenish-blue yolks that boiled eggs have sometimes.