(makes 10 servings)
2 28-ounce (793 g total) cans low-sodium crushed tomatoes
1 large onion, about 1/2 pound (225 g), chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 medium celery ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1 quart (1 l) low-sodium beef broth, defatted
2 teaspoons (10 ml) paprika
1 teaspoon (4 g) sugar
2 tablespoons (18 g) cornstarch
2 tablespoons (30 ml) dry sherry or additional beef broth
1/2 cup (10 g ) packed finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon (12.5 g) reduced-fat margarine
salt (optional) to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Simmer the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and celery in a covered soup pot for 15 minutes.
- Process the vegetables in a food processor or blender in small batches. Return to the pot.
- Add the beef broth, paprika, and sugar. Combine the cornstarch and dry sherry; stir until well dissolved. Add to the soup and stir. Bring to a simmer again and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and margarine. Taste for seasoning, adding salt (if using) and pepper to taste.
- Transfer soup to a preheated 2-quart thermos. Serve warm in small cups.
Per serving: 64 calories (14% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.2 g saturated), 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium
Exchanges: 2 vegetable