Tomorrow’s dinner is prepared and everything is marinating. All I have to do tomorrow is grill the pork and cook the rice. I will also have some store bought Cabbage kim chi. Some ginger tea will be good with it.
Korean Spicy Pork Bulgogi
• 1 lb pork loin (thin, wide slices like bulgogi)
• 5 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 sprigs green onions (chopped)
• 1 yellow onion (sliced)
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
• 1 pinch black pepper
• 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
• 3 tablespoons red pepper paste (kochi-jang)
• 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
Mix all ingredients, refrigerate overnight for best results or a minimum of 1 hour.
Cook over medium-high heat in frying pan, stirring occasionally until well done and browned.
Korean Seasoned Spinach Sigumchi Namul
* 1 pound spinach
* 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp sesame oil
* 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
* 2 tsp sugar
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove spinach quickly and rinse in cold water.
- Gently squeeze the spinach to remove excess water.
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, seeds, salt, garlic, and sugar and mix into spinach.
Korean Cucumber Kimchi Oi Sobaegi
- 10 Korean, pickling or kirby cucumbers*, with ends sliced off
- 1/4 cup salt * 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup kochukaru (Korean chili pepper)
- 1/2 cup Asian chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fish sauce or liquid from brined sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Wash cucumbers. Place end of cucumber on cutting board and cut in half down length, without cutting through to the end.
Rotate the cucumber and make another cut without going through the end, so that the second cut is perpendicular to the first.
Fill a large bowl with water and dissolve the ¼ cup salt into it. Fully submerge cucumbers in salt bath for 30 minutes.
While cucumbers are marinating, mix all other ingredients together in a bowl to make the stuffing. After 30 minutes, remove cucumbers from salt bath but do not rinse.
Fill each cucumber between the connected spears with spicy stuffing (but do not rinse out bowl). Place cucumbers next to each other in a glass container.
Fill seasoning bowl with about a cup of water, dissolving remaining seasonings in bowl. Pour liquid over cucumbers until they are almost submerged.
Cover with a tight-fitting lid and store at room temperature for 8-12 hours. Move cucumber kimchi to the refrigerator.
KOREAN BEAN SPROUT SALAD
1 lb. fresh bean sprouts
1 tbsp. white sesame seeds
1 tbsp. salad oil (or sesame oil)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped green onion
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1 sm. clove garlic, finely chopped
Clean and wash bean sprouts in cold water. Drop them in boiling water and let stand for 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Brown sesame seeds in skillet over low fire, stirring constantly. Add all other ingredients to bean sprouts, mix well with fork. Serve cold. 5 servings.