UC Davis study shows almost 70% Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil Isn't, 90% California

UC Davis study shows almost 70% Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil Isn’t, 90% Californian Is

Since I read this about a year ago, I’ve only been buying California extra virgin olive oil. There is apparently a lot of fraud going on in the international olive oil trade. Is it mobbed up?

“The research team found that 69 percent of the imported oils sampled, compared with just 10 percent of the California-produced oils sampled, failed to meet internationally accepted standards for extra virgin olive oil.”

LINK TO UNIVERSITY OLIVE OIL REPORT PAGE: UC Davis News & Information :: Most imported olive oils don’t match ‘extra virgin’ claims, study finds

“The new study, the first of its kind by an American academic institution, examined olive oils labeled as extra virgin, and purchased in California supermarkets and “big box” retail outlets. A report detailing the study’s findings and the names of the brands evaluated is being released today by the UC Davis Olive Center and is available online at:”
LINK TO UNIVERSITY OLIVE OIL REPORT PAGE: Welcome — UC Davis Olive Center

Several years ago the New Yorker magazine had an article about the fraud going on in the international olive oil trade.

SLIPPERY BUSINESS The trade in adulterated olive oil. New Yorker magazine, 2007
LINK TO NEW YORKER MAGAZINE ARTICLE ABOUT OLIVE OIL FRAUD: Letter from Italy: Slippery Business : The New Yorker

Wow ! For years, I’ve noticed the taste differences from brand to brand, or even from bottle to bottle (of the same brand). I had kinda concluded it was the growing conditions at the time.
I’d never even thought, I was at times getting rooked.
Well, now I’m with you. gonna buy only Ca oils. Who would of thunk it ?