Vegetable Omelet Pie
(makes 6 servings)
1 small eggplant, 6 ounces (180 g) stem removed and cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) dice
olive oil cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt (optional)
2 teaspoons (10 ml) olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large plum tomato, 6 ounces (180 g) seeded and chopped
2 to 3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 small red potatoes, 4 ounces (120 g) cooked in their jackets and cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) dice
5 large eggs or 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) liquid egg substitute
5 large egg whites
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (1.25 to 2.5 ml) freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) finely minced fresh herbs such as basil, flat-leaf parsley, chives, chervil, or thyme
1/4 cup (30 g) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
2 scallions, white part and 1 inch (2.5 cm) green, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler. Place the eggplant in a single layer in a small baking pan. Lightly coat eggplant with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Broil, stirring once or twice, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Reset oven to 425Â°F (220 Â°C), Gas Mark 7.
- Heat olive oil in a large, ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, half of the tomato, and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until onions are cooked, about 5 minutes and liquid has evaporated. Add potatoes and continue to cook for 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and stir in eggplant. Using a paper towel, wipe out skillet. Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites, and pepper. Whisk in herbs and cheese. Add the reserved vegetables to the egg mixture, stirring to evenly mix.
- Return the skillet to the stove over low heat. Pour in the egg-vegetable mixture, stirring gently to evenly distribute the vegetables. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, until the underside is light golden and the top is starting to firm.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake until the top is puffed and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and invert onto a large serving platter. If desired, cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving at room temperature or cold.
- Garnish with remaining chopped tomatoes and scallions. To serve, cut into 6 wedges.
Per serving: 136 calories (40% calories from fat), 11 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 179 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 medium fat protein (meat), 2 vegetable