This stew is a great way to use summer vegetables in a new way.
3 cups water
1 cube vegetable bouillon, low sodium
2 cups white potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips
2 cups carrots, sliced
4 cups summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares
1 cup summer squash, cut in 4 chunks
1 15-oz can sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1/2 small hot pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, diced
(Add other favorite vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
- Heat water and bouillon in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove 4 chunks of squash and pur?e in blender.
- Return pur?ed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let sit for minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Makes 8 servings–Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
Fat 1 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 196 mg