Very Good Chocolate Cake (Looking for specific recipe)

I am looking for a recipe for “Very Good Chocolate Cake” that is supposedly found in the cookbook entitled ‘The Gift of Southern Cooking’, by Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis.

This cake was mentioned in an ‘underground’ type newspaper article and described as ‘the best &%#$ cake I’ve ever eaten’. Being a self described chocolate afficionado, how intriguing is that?? I HAVE to try it.

While I could order the cookbook online, I’m really just interested in this one recipe as we are absolute chocolate freaks!

This is the recipe you are looking for -

VERY GOOD CHOCOLATE CAKE

CAKE:
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. baking soda
1 c. hot (not boiling) water
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 eggs, room temp
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

FROSTING:
1 c. heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into several pieces
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 lb. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 c. hot water
1 t. vanilla extract

CAKE: Preheat oven to 325* F… Butter, flour and line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Sift together sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. In another bowl, pour hot water over chocolate, allowing it to melt completely. In a third bowl, whisk eggs and applesauce, then add sour cream, vanilla and chocolate mixture. With spatula, fold wet mixture into dry, by thirds, incorporating after each addition. Divide batter evenly between the cake pans. Bake 30-40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cake pans to racks and allow to rest for five minutes before turning out of pans. To unmold, run a flat-edged knife between cake and sides of pans. Turn pans facedown onto rack and carefully lift. Allow cakes to completely cool before peeling off parchment and frosting.

FROSTING: Heat cream, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan until butter is melted. Add chocolate, cooking over very low heat, until just melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and blend in water and vanilla. Transfer frosting to a bowl to cool, stirring occasionally, until it is spreadable - about an hour. Do not refrigerate and resist the urge to stir often.

ASSEMBLING CAKE: When frosting is ready, put one cake layer on cake plate and frost from center, thoroughly covering surface. Top with second layer and frost the top and sides. Allow cake to sit two hours before slicing.

I too am glad to have this recipe. I’ve heard of it, but have never actually seen the recipe. I’m anxious to give it a try. Thanks for the post.

BetK :wink:

This is another very good Chocolate Cake in case you want to try it. It’s my Mother-In-Law’s recipe and all the relatives rave about it. It’s a Chocoholic’s dream.

SHANA’S CHOCOLATE CAKE
Cake
1 Box Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake-Moist Deluxe
1 Pint Sour Cream - Use 3/4 of the pint
Instant Chocolate Pudding - Use 3/4 of the package
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Oil
3 Eggs
12 ozs Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Use 3/4 package

Mix everything except chocolate chips together. Add chocolate chips and mix by hand.
Grease pan with Crisco and flour with cocoa. Bake about 1 hour. Let cake cool completely before glazing.

Glaze
2 Tbsps Butter
1/4 Cup Cocoa
3 Tbsps Water
1&1/4 Cups Confectionary Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa and water, stirring constantly. Until mixture thickens. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat. Blend in Confectionary sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more water if necessary. Add glaze to cake while glaze is still warm.

ENJOY

Kitchen Witch,

I made the Very Good Chocolate Cake over the weekend. It was awesome. Everyone in my family really liked it. It is so moist and chocolaty. Just the way I like a chocolate cake. Thanks for the post.

BetK :wink:

so glad you enjoyed it!!

I am looking for the recipe from a “Wartime Cookbook” that my mother had. It is for a Sour Cream Cocoa Cake. I remember that it had no egg yolks, but 5 beaten egg whites, only ¼ cup cocoa, and 1 cup of sour cream. I cannot remember the other ingredients, but it was a wonderfully moist chocolaty cake. Can anyone help?

this is one of the oldies that I have - I will keep searching for the one that is closer to the one you are looking for…KW

Old-Time Sour-Cream Chocolate Cake

½ cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk – beaten
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons cocoa
¼ cup boiling water
1 egg white – beaten stiff
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup cold water
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons hot water
2 egg whites – beaten frothy

Cream butter and sugar. Stir in egg yolk. Stir the soda into the sour cream. Sift the dry ingredients together twice. Add all ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture in the order given.

Bake in 2 buttered and lightly floured layer-cake tins about 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated 350º oven.

When cool, spread top of one layer with the filling: Mix filling ingredients in order given and cook 20 minutes, stirring often so mixture will not scorch.

Center plain layer over filled layer and frost top and sides with frosting:

Boil sugars and water until they spin a thread. Pour slowly over the beaten egg whites. Frost the cake.

Melt 2 ounces (2 squares) of unsweetened chocolate over hot water. Pour over cake and let drip down the sides.