Very Good Chocolate Cake (Looking for specific recipe)

I am looking for a recipe for “Very Good Chocolate Cake” that is supposedly found in the cookbook entitled ‘The Gift of Southern Cooking’, by Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis.

This cake was mentioned in an ‘underground’ type newspaper article and described as ‘the best &%#$ cake I’ve ever eaten’. Being a self described chocolate afficionado, how intriguing is that?? I HAVE to try it.

While I could order the cookbook online, I’m really just interested in this one recipe as we are absolute chocolate freaks!

I too am glad to have this recipe. I’ve heard of it, but have never actually seen the recipe. I’m anxious to give it a try. Thanks for the post.

BetK :wink:

This is another very good Chocolate Cake in case you want to try it. It’s my Mother-In-Law’s recipe and all the relatives rave about it. It’s a Chocoholic’s dream.

SHANA’S CHOCOLATE CAKE
Cake
1 Box Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake-Moist Deluxe
1 Pint Sour Cream - Use 3/4 of the pint
Instant Chocolate Pudding - Use 3/4 of the package
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Oil
3 Eggs
12 ozs Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Use 3/4 package

Mix everything except chocolate chips together. Add chocolate chips and mix by hand.
Grease pan with Crisco and flour with cocoa. Bake about 1 hour. Let cake cool completely before glazing.

Glaze
2 Tbsps Butter
1/4 Cup Cocoa
3 Tbsps Water
1&1/4 Cups Confectionary Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa and water, stirring constantly. Until mixture thickens. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat. Blend in Confectionary sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more water if necessary. Add glaze to cake while glaze is still warm.

ENJOY

Kitchen Witch,

I made the Very Good Chocolate Cake over the weekend. It was awesome. Everyone in my family really liked it. It is so moist and chocolaty. Just the way I like a chocolate cake. Thanks for the post.

BetK :wink:

I am looking for the recipe from a “Wartime Cookbook” that my mother had. It is for a Sour Cream Cocoa Cake. I remember that it had no egg yolks, but 5 beaten egg whites, only ¼ cup cocoa, and 1 cup of sour cream. I cannot remember the other ingredients, but it was a wonderfully moist chocolaty cake. Can anyone help?