This simple lunch is easy to make and totally healthy. It packs in an enormous amount of vitamins, protein, calcium, and anti-oxidants.
A sauce pan
A non-stick pan
A microwave dish
Quick brown rice
One can vegetarian chili
Seasonings (e.g. salt and garlic powder)
- In the sauce pan, make several servings of the quick brown rice, using the chicken broth as the liquid.
- Chop the onion, red pepper, and kale. (How much is up to you. For one person, about a half cup of onion, half a red pepper, and two cups of kale works well.)
- Heat the non-stick pan to medium high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the onion, red pepper, and kale, in that order, stir-frying each briefly before adding the next ingredient.
- Season the greens with salt and garlic powder, or the seasonings of your choice.
- Meanwhile, heat the chili in the microwaveable dish.
To serve, place a half cup or so of brown rice in a soup bowl or pasta bowl, add a cup of chili, top with the hot greens and mix them in a bit. For extra flavor, you can add a bit of grated cheese on the top.