This is my all-time favorite cake, and I usually make it several times a year for special occasions. A variety of icings are good on this, but buttercream is my personal favorite. This recipe makes a two-layer cake.
2 Cups + 4 Tbsp. cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6-8 tsp. red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
- Grease and flour 2 cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa in a bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Beat oil and sugar together until blended. Add eggs and blend well.
- Mix in vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring. Add 4 tsp. first, then additional if desired. More food coloring will make the cake a brighter, more cocoa-hued red. The color of the baked cake will be darker than the batter.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, half of each at a time. Mix well but do not overbeat.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with frosting and a little grated chocolate.