What can I do with 3 dozen eggs?

After the wild week of company and parties, I have over three dozen eggs left. Any suggestions on what to make with them? I can’t eat that many myself but I can cook and share?

Thanx. A J

Abundance of Eggs

How about spraying an ice cube tray and freezing them one per cube space? When frozen, put in a freezer bag and thaw only amount needed. Will last up to six months with no adverse effects.

Or go on a baking spree and then freeze your baked goods.

Or treat your family/friends to some terrific quiches and omelets.

Eggs last longer than the use by date on the carton. A friend of mine keeps her “long” after the expiration date. You will know if they are not good the minute you crack the egg!!!

Superb idea, with freezing, Pat! Now that’s a great kitchen tip!

B-man :wink:

Make some pickled eggs! They’re actually better when made with old eggs.

Pickled Eggs

2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pickling spice
2 cups cider vinegar
12 to 16 hard-cooked eggs

Add sugar, salt and spices to vinegar (dilute 1/3 with water if strong) and simmer about 8 minutes. Strain and pour over the peeled eggs arranged in a quart jar. Seal and let stand 2 days before using.

Add sprig of dill, a few caraway seeds, garlic, a clove or onions to the brine as desired

Salmon Souffle

(3 servings)

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs, separated
2 egg whites
salt, dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce to taste
1 cup cooked salmon
Hollandaise sauce

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and blend with a wire whisk. Meanwhile, bring milk to a boil and add all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring with whisk until thickened and smooth. Cool mixture.

Beat in, 1 at a time, the 4 egg yolks, and cook briefly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Season with salt, mustard and Worcestershire.

Flake salmon and blend well into white sauce and egg mixture.

Using a rotary beater or an electric mixer, beat 6 egg whites until they stand in peaks. Do not overbeat. Fold whites gently into salmon mixture with rubber spatula or wooden spoon, being careful not to overblend.

Pour into buttered 2-quart souffle dish, place in oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes. Serve with hollandaise sauce, if desired.

Egg and Spinach Pie

(6 to 8 servings)

Pastry for a 1-crust 8-inch pie
1 lb spinach, cooked
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup soft breacrumbs
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Line pie plate with pastry and line pastry with foil. Add dried beans to weight the bottom down and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and beans.

Coarsely chop spinach and drain well. Spread over baked pie shell. Break eggs over spinach and cover with sour cream.

Toss crumbs in butter and cheese and sprinkle over the top. Bake until eggs are set, about 15 minutes.

Coconut Angel Food Cake

Ingredients

(1 servings)

Cake:
3/4 cup Cake flour
8 lg Egg whites
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cream of tartar
1 cup Superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
1/2 cup Coconut, shredded (unsweetened)

Frosting:
1 1/4 cup Sugar
2 lg Egg whites
1 teaspon Orange zest, grated
1/4 cup Orange juice, strained
1 tablesppon Corn syrup
1 cup Coconut, shredded and toaste (unsweetened)

Instructions

Onto a sheet of wax paper, sift the flour 3 times. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until they are frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat to soft peaks. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, a little at a time. Add the vanilla and almond extract, and beat the whites to stiff peaks. Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, a little at a time. Sift the flour over the whites in 4 batches, folding it in gently after each sifting. Fold in the coconut.
Spoon batter into a 9-inch tube pan, 3 1/2-inches deep. Bake in the middle of a preheated 275f oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Hang the cake in the pan, upside down, on the neck of a bottle and let it cool for 90-120 minutes or until cooled completely. Release the cake with a sharp knife, turn it out on a rack and invert it onto a cake plate.
In a metal bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg whites, zest, juice, corn syrup, and a pinch of salt. Set the bowl over simmering water, and cook, whisking, until it registers 140f on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat and whisk the mixture over the hot water for 3 minutes. Remove the bowl from the water and, with an electric mixer, beat the frosting at high speed for 7-10 minutes or until it is cool and holds stiff peaks.
Spread top and sides of the cake with the frosting and coat the outside with the toasted coconut.

Double Vanilla Poundcake with Rum-Vanilla Glaze
Poundcake is an “old faithful” in my repertoire. It keeps well, makes a lovely gift, can be dressed up or down, and if it grows stale, it’s perfect for Bread Pudding or Triffle. I’ve paired it here with Crème Anglaise. You can pour the custard over slices of cake for a triple vanilla wonder.

Ingredients:

1 large vanilla bean, split or cut into pieces
1 cup milk, room temperature
4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, delete)
2 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2-1/2 cups vanilla sugar
6 jumbo eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour milk into a saucepan, add the vanilla bean and scald the milk. Let mixture cool to room temperature. Remove vanilla bean, rinse it off, and set aside.

Resift the flour with the baking powder and the salt onto a sheet of waxed paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer on moderately high speed until light, about 3 minutes.

Add the vanilla sugar in two portions, beating thoroughly after each portion is added. Beat in eggs, one at a time, periodically scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure an even mixture. Blend in vanilla extract.

On low speed, add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

Pour and scrape the batter into a lightly buttered, floured 10-inch tube pan, a large square baking pan or three loaf pans. Bake the cake on the lowest rack of the oven for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake emerges clean and dry.

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Prick holes all over the top of the cake with a thin knife or toothpick and slowly spoon glaze over the cake, allowing the syrup to absorb into the cake.

Rum-Vanilla Glaze

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup rum or brandy (optional)

Preparation:

Place sugar and water in a small saucepan, add in the reserved vanilla bean, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until syrup begins to thicken. Allow to cool slightly before adding extract and rum.

Cr̬me Anglaise РVanilla Pouring Custard

This is one of my favorite vanilla custards. The reason I like it so much is that you can pour it over fresh berries or cakes, substitute orange juice for some of the cream and pour it over sliced oranges, or use it as a base under a rich chocolate dessert. You can even turn a simple bowl of fruit into an elegant dessert.

Ingredients:

2 cups milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup light cream
1 vanilla bean, split down center
6 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation:

Combine egg yolks, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and beat until thick and pale lemon colored, 1 to 2 minutes. Scald milk with the vanilla bean and set aside, allowing to cool to 100 degrees or so.

Add the milk and vanilla bean, to the egg mixture. Stir, then pour the milk/egg mixture back into saucepan.

Cook over moderate heat stirring mixture until it thickens, but don’t allow mixture to come to a boil. Mixture will be ready when it coats the back of a spoon. Strain custard, then scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract. Cool mixture, stirring occasionally, then chill, covered. Makes 2-1/2 cups.

Note: Sometimes, no matter how careful we are, custard mixtures will separate or have small clumps in the mixture. Don’t despair. You can run the mixture through a blender or food processor, or strain it through the sieve again. It will be a little thinner but quite useable.

Thanks for all the tips. I love the education I get on this site.

A J