What can I do with fresh mint?

Hello everyone,

I have started an herb garden. Among my collection is a variety of mint: chocolate mint, traditional/old fashioned mint, thai mint…Anyway, I didn’t expect how well they would grow. Now, I have heaps! Other than steeping it in hot water and drinking it in tea, or adding it to pork or lamb roast, are there any other recipes out there that I can use mint with?

My basil is growing haywire too, but there’s always pesto…I don’t think mint pesto would be as appealing…hmmm.

Thanks!

I hope your mint is growing in a container or it will take over your entire garden.

MINT PESTO
This dessert pesto is terrific with chocolate. Try it as a filling for sandwich cookies or mix some into chocolate sauce for ice cream or cake. Try mint brownies below .

1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, briefly chop the nuts before adding the remaining ingredients. Puree until reduced to a paste. If not using right away, transfer to a glass container, lay plastic wrap over the top so it is touching thus keeping air from penetrating the pesto. Store in refrigerator for up to a month.
Yield: about 1 cup

MINT PESTO BROWNIES

6 Tablespoons butter
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup mint pesto
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Light butter or coat with non-stick spray the bottom only of an 8-inch square baking pan.
Melt the butter and chocolate together until smooth. Stir in sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla then lightly stir in the flour. Turn batter into prepared pan. Swirl the mint pesto into the batter.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. For best results, allow to cool completely before cutting.

I’ve added mint to steamed rice just before serving; I add it with chopped crystalized ginger to carrots, and to beets, and to baked asperagus that has been lightly coated with olive oil (I dampen my hands and gently toss whole spears) and toasted almonds. I’ve added it to lemon-flavoured dishes (even cupcakes; and it is fabulous with lemon loaf).