What is this baked style called?

[i][SIZE=“5”]I ate at an Italian restraunt at Japan. Ofcourse it’s mixed with a bit of Japanese style cooking but I was told what i was eating was Italian.
It was pasta (maybe linguine) with mushroom, shrimp and light cream sauce with cheese covering the top that was really browned on the top!
It was in a 1-2 serving dish and had come staright out of the oven!

I can’t remember what this style of cooking or style of pasta dish this was. It’s not Ziti or Lasagna but it had a name to it due to the cream sauce & pasta with the browned cheese on top.
If anyone has any ideas please help me figure out what I’m thinking of!!

Thanks in advance![/SIZE][/i]

cindy24 - all it was - was a baked pasta dish. You can bake any type of pasta and you can use any type of sauce. Most baked pasta dishes are baked till heated through and the cheese is golden on top. The sauce could have been a simple white sauce, bechamel sauce, white cheese sauce, alfredo sauce, etc. and there are other type of “binders” which are not exactly a sauce but made up of butter, eggs and cheese. You can top pasta with any type of cheese as well.

There are so many recipes and variation! Here is just one that is simple:

In large saucepan, melt 1 stick butter and saute mushrooms (about an 8 oz. pkg.) over medium heat for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1/2 pint half & half and white pepper to taste. Steam shrimp (1/2 - 1 lb.) and add to sauce. Cook sauce over low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring often. Serve over hot cooked pasta. If desired, place in casserole, top with grated cheese of choice and broil until cheese melts - just a minute or two.

I read several of my cook books and came up with 3 possibilities. Check out a Scampi recipe, a Carbonara recipe and a Formaggio recipe. Maybe one of these might help you.