A Blood Pressure Pop-Quiz ( Heart Health )

A Blood Pressure Pop-Quiz

If you have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure, you may have many questions about how to treat your condition. Medication can be confusing and it’s important that you know the facts when it comes to your health. Take this quiz to see how much you know about treating high blood pressure.

Decide whether each statement is true or false:

If I make the necessary lifestyle changes, I won’t need medication for my high blood pressure.

False. Changing lifestyle habits may not lower your blood pressure enough. If it doesn’t, you will need to take medication. However, even if you do need medication, you still should maintain a healthy weight, stay physically active, and follow a healthy eating plan that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods. You should also choose and prepare foods with less salt and sodium, and if you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation. This will help your medication work better and may reduce how much of it you need.

I only need to take my medication if I don’t feel well.

False. If your doctor prescribes high blood pressure medication for you, you must take it according to the prescription, usually every day, no matter how you feel.

If you’ve been taking your high blood pressure medication, you can assume that your blood pressure is in control.

False. In some cases, medication may not work to lower systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading). This is more common in people who are older than 55. Talk to your doctor. If your blood pressure is over 140/90 mmHg, he or she can adjust your medication and help you make lifestyle changes that will lower your blood pressure.

If you answered most of these questions correctly, give yourself a hand! The more you understand about your condition and current treatments, the more you will be able to take an active role in your health.

B-man :wink: