a trick I use to make my children enjoy their veggies.

I am not a great cook but there is one thing that I will do is try to perfect my family’s favorite meal. Right now I think I have finally improve in cooking the spaghetti the way my children wants it.

400 grams of spaghetti pasta
1 can of Del Monte Italian Herb Chunky Spaghetti Sauce (26.5)
1 small can of Del Monte dice tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano
half a kilo of lean ground beef
garlic salt
salt
1/4 cup sugar to 1/3 cup
1 table spoon of fresh basil or more if desired.
pepper
2 tablespoon of chopped onion
olive oil
grated cheese of your choice (optional)

First of all cook the pasta according to packet direction. I usually add a teaspoon of rock salt in the boiling water and once the water is boiled I place the pasta in and wait for 9 minutes before removing it from pot.

Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil then saute the chopped onions for 2 minutes.

Add lean ground beef and cook well.

While the beef is cooking, I would blend 1 cup of spaghetti sauce with chopped basil in a blender. If your children does not like the strong taste of basil you can use a teaspoon instead of tablespoon of chopped basil.

Once the beef is cook, add all the spaghetti sauce.

Add a dash of black finely ground pepper.

Add salt and sugar.

Here is the trick. Children doesn’t like the sour or salty taste of spaghetti sauce. So you have to add more sugar and as you gradually add sugar, taste it first before you add again. It has to have the balance taste. Not salty not sweet. Kinda like Ying and Yang. I must have use atleast a quarter cup of sugar.

Once the sauce is cook serve and sprinkle cheese if you like.

Our little ones are not always fond of eating vegetables so I found a way for them to eat their vegetables without them knowing it.

I would chop carrot, 1 stick of celery chopped, chopped eggplant and steam them. or you can boil them if you want with very little water. Once they are cook I would use the blender and blend them all with one cup of spaghetti sauce along with chopped basil. These vegetables helps to thicken the sauce by the way.

I add this to the spaghetti sauce.

Surprisingly they did not complain at all.

By the way I also use bell pepper, zucchini, onions, cilantro with the carrot, celery and eggplant. It is better to introduce 2 vegetable at a time.

This recipe is good for 6 people. :wink:

great idea!