Another Plea for Subways & Blimpie bread

Does anyone know the recipe for the italian bread and the wheat bread Subway or Blimpie uses

OK Vernon, you’re halfway there. The actual quantities and recipe is very elusive, but I did stumble upon the ingredients for all of their breads. Some of it reads like the back of a tube of toothpaste, but it does tell you pretty much all you need to know, including how to make the various “flavored” breads they serve. My advice to you if you are looking for the soft type bread they have, is to go with the wheat. I have found wheat bread much easier to work with, and it seems to come out softer as well. The other thing you will want to remember is that Subway proofs their bread, I would imagine around 80 degrees or so. If you want a softer bread pick your favorite recipe, and use the ingredients following in the amounts listed in your recipe. Also, if a recipe calls for basting the tops of the loaves with water, DO NOT do it. This creates a crisp shell on the bread, which is not what I believe you’re looking for. Hope this helps!

Joe

SUBWAY® ITALIAN BREAD Enriched flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, sugar, contains less than 2% of the following: partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening (soybean, cottonseed), yeast, salt, wheat protein isolate, wheat gluten, dough conditioners (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, DATEM, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase [enzymes]), sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, mineral oil.

SUBWAY® WHEAT BREAD Enriched flour (flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, whole wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, wheat gluten, contains less than 2% of the following: wheat bran, yeast, salt, soybean oil, dough conditioner (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono-and diglycerides, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase (enzymes)], cracked wheat, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, caramel color (contains sulfites), dried honey preparation (honey powder, invert sugar, wheat starch, soy bran flour, silicon dioxide [anti-caking]), mineral oil.

HONEY OAT BREAD Subway® Wheat Bread, honey oat topping (organic cane juice solids, rolled oats, diced soy nuts, honey solids, wheat starch, sunflower oil, salt, caramel color and natural flavor).

MONTEREY CHEDDAR BREAD Subway® Italian Bread, Monterey Jack cheese (cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes, artificial color), potato starch and powdered cellulose added to prevent caking, natamycin (a natural mold inhibitor).

PARMESAN/OREGANO BREAD SUBWAY® Italian Bread, rice flour, hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, salt, wheat gluten, spice, parmesan cheese (cultured part skim cow’s milk, salt, enzymes), natural and artificial flavor, soybean oil, autolyzed yeast, citric acid, whey, lecithin, nonfat dry milk, lactic acid, garlic, powdered cellulose and disodium phosphate.

ROASTED GARLIC BREAD Subway® Italian Bread, Roasted Garlic Topping (yellow cornmeal, salt, sugar, green bell pepper, sodium diacetate, garlic, spices, onion, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil, paprika, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, ascorbic acid, garlic, natural flavor and calcium silicate (anti-caking agent).

HEARTY ITALIAN BREAD SUBWAY® Italian bread, yellow cornmeal.

SOURDOUGH BREAD Enriched flour (flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, soybean oil, salt, fumaric acid, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, sodium diacetate, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono-and diglycerides, lactic acid, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase, mineral oil.

Thank you for that quantity list it will be of great help.
Now what I will need to do is get someone with baking experince to make it into a recipe so I can go to the store and buy the ingredients.

When you say proofing what is meant by this

Here is a link to explain to you how to proof bread. I believe that Subway uses a convection (forced hot air) oven, and this may also have an affect on it. I would recommend using a bread machine to mix the dough if you have one. It’s easier, and cuts down the risk of overworking the dough, which can be caused by too much kneading in combination with the excess oil from your hands. I’ll keep an eye out for a decent bread recipe and see if I can’t reverse engineer this for you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13896_proof-yeast.html

Thank you very much.
I really appreciate your help
Kind Regards Vernon