Archway Pink & White Anise Cookies from the 1960's

Anyone remember the Archway Pink & White Anise Cookies from the 1960’s? If I remember correctly they were a thin sugar, or oatmeal, or molasses cookie (not sure which one) with half white and half pink icing. They were about 3-inches across and maybe 1/8-inch thick. They had an anise/licorice flavor. Does anyone remember any more details? I’d like to develop a copycat recipe for these cookies from my childhood in southern California.

tried to purchase Pfferrnuse /Peppernuts, cookies just this past Christmas. When I ask the cookie Isle stockclerk for them, they looked at me like I had just ask for something made from spun Whale expectorate.

You might try these:

Frosted Anise Cookies

1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
7 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp anise extract

2/3 cup light cream (half and half)
1 tbsp butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp anise extract
sprinkles (colored, decorate as needed)

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cream butter, shortening,and sugar until smooth; add eggs and beat well.
In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture along with anise extract and cream and,using a wooden spoon, mix well.
Form dough into small balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheets several inches apart.
Flatten slightly (using a sugared glass or the palm of your hand) and bake approximately 12 minutes.
Remove to racks to cool then frost.
For frosting, melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
Add sugar, milk, and anise extract and stir until smooth.
Dunk tops or sides of cooled cookies into the icing, then dunk into a dish of sprinkles to decorate.
Frosting will harden once it dries.

Thanks, that sounds similar to what I remember from about 1962. Wow, has it been 50 years?

Time flies when you are having fun!

Hi! I was thrilled to find this website as I have been wracking my brain trying to remember who made these cookies. I grew up in So. Cal in the 50’s and 60’s and my brother and I loved these cookies. All I remember is the icing had that anise flavor…as far as the cookie itself I cannot define what flavor that was. Have you tried the recipe that someone sent in? I am going to try it and see if it’s close.