Artichokes for beginners...help!

OK, I have to confess, I’ve never eaten a fresh artichoke in any way, shape, or form. I don’t even know how to prepare them. Yes, I’ve used canned artichokes in recipes & I like them but I have no idea what to do or how to serve a fresh one.

Does anyone have any beginner recipes, simple ones, to try just to see if they'd be enjoyed here?  

Living in the upper midwest we can only get them at the grocery store.

Stuffed Artichokes

4 large, full-size artichokes
1 lemon, halved
1 3⁄4 cups dried bread crumbs
1 cup grated pecorino
1⁄3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1. Using a serrated knife, cut off artichoke stems to create a flat bottom. Cut top thirds off artichokes, pull off tough outermost leaves, and trim tips of leaves with kitchen shears. Remove the fuzzy choke. Rub cut parts with lemon halves. Open artichoke leaves with your thumbs to make room for stuffing; set aside.

2. Heat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, 3⁄4 cup pecorino, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic. Working with one artichoke at a time over bowl, sprinkle one-quarter of bread crumb mixture over the artichoke and work it in between leaves. Transfer stuffed artichoke to a shallow baking dish. Drizzle each artichoke with 1 tbsp. oil. Pour in boiling water to a depth of 1". Rub 1 tbsp. olive oil on a sheet of parchment, cover artichokes with parchment (oiled side down), and secure with a sheet of foil tightly around dish with kitchen twine. Bake until a knife easily slides into the base of an artichoke, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and parchment, sprinkle tops with remaining cheese, and switch oven to broil. Broil until tops of artichokes are golden brown, about 3 minutes.

SERVES 4

Thanks for the recipe, now I know how to fix them.

I do have a question though, & while I really appreciate the recipe....is making them worth all the work involved?  I've never had them, people here don't serve them yet I know they're served often out west & on the coast there.  

I guess I won't know until I make at least one.  Thanks again.

The work involved isn’t as difficult as you may think. My mother made them all the time. She was a good cook, but never bothered with recipes that she thought were too time consuming for the result.

Make them once and decide for yourself if they are worth it.

Thanks everyone, I’ll definitely try them. I know fresh is always better than canned & because I like using the canned in recipes I’m hoping I’ll like the real thing. Up until about 3 years ago I steered clear of avocados & now I love them.

Thanks again!