2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, cubed and chilled
10 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 slices thick-cut bacon
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon and pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease, and then add the diced onion. Saute the onion until soft and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan to cool. Chop the cooled bacon and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter (or two knives, or your fingers), cut the butter into the flour mixture until combined and the mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and egg.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, and gently toss until the flour mixture is mostly moistened (lumps will remain). Add the bacon, onions and cheddar cheese. Using a rubber spatula, gently mix together until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve warm.