Baked Custard Recipe

Hello. I am a big fan of baked custard. I have tried a couple of recipes for this which basically combine eggs, milk and caster sugar which are poured into ramekins and placed in a tray with boiling water and then baked. Whilst they come out with a nice flavour, they are always runny and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to how to encourage the mixture to thicken and set properly. Is there some simple ingredient I can add to the exising recipe to make it thicken, or is there a better recipe for this?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

will this help?

Caramel Custard

(5 servings)

3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
pinch of salt
2 cups milk, scalded
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Heat 1/2 cup sugar slowly in small heavy skillet, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until sugar melts, is free from lumps and turns a light caramel in color. Pour a spoonful of syrup in each of 5 custard cups and let stand until slightly cooled.

Beat eggs lightly with remaining sugar and salt. Add milk slowly, while stirring. Add vanilla. Strain and pour strained mixture carefully into prepared cups so as not to disturb caramel.

Place cups in a pan of hot water (water should be almost level with tops of cups) and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, or about 40 minutes. Remove immediately from water and cool quickly. Chill if desired.

To serve, run knife around edge of custards, turn out and serve with whipped cream if desired.

Coconut Custard Dessert

3 large eggs
1/2 C. sugar
1/8 t. salt
3 C. whole milk
1 C. (3 oz.) unsweetened dried medium-shred coconut
1/2 t. vanilla

Adjust rack to lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Pour hot water into a pan that easily accommodates a 4-cup soufflé dish or charlotte mold. Place the pan of hot water in the preheating oven.

Mix the eggs with the sugar and salt in a mixing bowl; set a sieve over the bowl. Set another sieve nearby.

Combine milk and coconut in a 1 1/2-quart heavy-bottom saucepan. Bring just to a boil; remove from heat. Let coconut steep for about 2 minutes. Pour hot milk mixture through sieve into egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, press down on coconut to extract any remaining milk.

Add the vanilla to the egg mixture, and whisk to combine ingredients. Without delay, pour the coconut-infused milk mixture through the other sieve into the soufflé dish. Skim any foam from the top of the mixture. Set the soufflé dish in the hot-water bath (the water should come halfway up the dish).

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. To test for doneness, gently shake soufflé dish. Custard should have a firm wiggle, and blade of a knife should come out clean when inserted a bit off center into custard. (The custard will continue to bake after it comes from the oven.) Remove from water bath and place on a wire rack to cool. Cover and refrigerate until cold and firm.

Serves 6

Baked Custard

•2 cups milk
•2 eggs
•1/8 teaspoon salt
•2 tablespoons sugar
•nutmeg

Beat together milk, eggs, salt, and sugar. Pour into custard cups; place cups in a pan with hot water nearly to top of custard line. Sprinkle each with nutmeg and bake at 325° for about 40 to 55 minutes, until custard is set. This really depends on depth of the baking dish. A knife inserted in center should come out clean. Makes 4 to 6, depending on size.

Baked Egg Custard

•2 cups milk, scalded
•3 egg yolks
•1/4 cup sugar
•1/8 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs or cookie crumbs

With a hand-held mixer on low speed, blend together the scalded milk, egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Pour mixture into a baking dish, about 6x10x2-inches. Place in a larger baking pan then add hot water to the larger pan to a depth of about 1 inch. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs then bake about 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until set. A clean knife inserted in center should come out clean when egg custard is done.

I love Baked Custard too, so I think I’ll try some of these recipes. Thanks for posting them.

You’re very welcomed! enjoy!