Baked Stuffed Lobster-Bishops Restaurant

2 1-1/4 live lobsters

1 1/2 rolls of Nabisco Royal Lunch Milk crackers crushed, but not too fine

Butter 1 stick Cream or 1/2 & 1/2 Walnuts chopped

Tamarli (from Lobster)

Turn live lobster on it’s back, and with a sharp knife, cut from mouth to end of tail. Split open. Take out the green tamarli and put in with the crackers.
Clean out the rest of the “stuff” removing the angel which is near the head. They say the angel could kill you, but that is silly, who would eat it, it’s all bones. Rinse out lobster.

The tamarli has to be used, or you will not get the “true” bishops stuffing.
Melt the butter, and spread over crushed crackers, with the back of a large spoon, spread the tamali over the crackers, add chopped walnuts, and cream. Mix well. The amount of cream differs, less is better to start off, mix and add more, till you can make a loose ball out of stuffing. Divide between the 2 lobsters, packing from head to over the tail. Brush more butter over the stuffing.
Bake at 325 for around 3/4 hour. If you would like the top crusty, put under broiler for a minute or two. Burns fast.

I have heard that is is half milk crackers, and half Ritz crackers. And, of course, you have to stick some lobster meat in with the stuffing too!

This recipe is still alive an well! Having 5 of them today for a party! Man, I really miss Bishop’s rest.!

OMG! Do you really ‘gut out’ a lobster while it’s still alive?? Can’t the spinal cord be slit first? I’ve never had baked stuffed lobster before, I always have them steamed. Guess I’ll never order a baked one; I’d feel too guilty eating it.:frowning:

don’t feel guilty when you cut the lobster from the head to tail you kill it humanly. by the way a lobster doesn’t have a spine.

Sorry Most steamed or boiled lobsters in restaurants are cooked alive also. A few chefs insert a knife at neck area before cooking!

You forget that the stuffing was used for Shrimp. Wirth’s cornered the restaurant market for Lobster. Both were excellent restaurants before celebrity chef personalities. I wonder who these magnificent chefs were, hidden annonymously. Of course, if you ordered take-out in the last Bishop’s location, you could see the WHOLE kitchen!

This is interesting. I worked in food prep at Bishops (1974-1981) in the basement. The recipe never used the lobster “tomalley” (spelled correctly). And one of the other contributors is correct. Ritz crackers were also used in the recipe. It was made in a large one-armed mixing machine. It would then be spilled onto a large table where we would form balls the size of softballs. They were then taken on trays to the line where they were added to the fresh lobsters that were sliced, cleaned of the “tomalley” and the stuffing added before baking.
We used the same stuffing for the stuffed shrimp. And, the customers had a choice of the regular stuffing or lobster stuffing. If they chose lobster stuffing. The person working the lobster station would unwrap a pre-measured amount of lobster to add to the stuffing before cooking.